Channels app and new tivo streaming stick

Get the Button Mapper app and change the DVR button (or any button of your choice) to open the Channels App (you will probably want to also make the same button double pressed bring you home). Once inside the Channels app, all the functions work as normal and expected.

Just a heads up that TiVo screwed a lot of things up and long presses mostly no longer work in Button Mapper, just single presses and double presses. I could take some screen shot of my setup tomorrow if you need additional help.

1 Like

I'm facing the same issues. I'm only running Channels DVR beta so the Tivo Channels Button Detector is gone. I've got Button Mapper which was set up but now everything is messed up, My Guide button doesn't work (inside the app) for example. Do you have Guide mapped in button mapper? If so, can you share the settings?

ADDED - got the Guide button working inside so that's resolved. Would be interested to see how you have used Button Mapper.. Thanks

Was about to say that in Button Mapper I have Guide set up as "Default" for single click and it just works, so not much to see there!

Saw your other thread about the Guide Channels Collections and replied there for that, but sounds like a different issue.

Channels experience on Tivo Stream is dead. Live/Guide button clicks were awesome with accessibility shortcut.

Digging up this old thread as I'm considering getting either a Tivo Stream 4k or Chromecast 4k for my basement TV. Are you saying ChannelsDVR doesn't work on Tivo at all, or just that the button shortcuts or mappings don't work anymore?

Anyone have a recommendation for Chromecast vs. Tivo Stream?

It still works the same. However, to get the extra buttons to work, you need to use the beta version, and Google will not allow this extra functionality to be distributed through the Play Store.

I see, appreciate the response! How's the tivo stream holding up? Recommend it?

I have both and they hold up equally, but in a new situation I would go with the Google one. The one thing the TiVO device has going for it is a far superior remote. To really take advantage of the TiVO one, though, you need to "de-TiVO" it. It is hopelessly out of date and full of bloatware.

walmart has their 4k Onn box for $20 that has the best of both worlds. Good tivo like remote, and a brand new device that hasn't been unofficially given up on like the tivo.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/onn-Google-TV-4K-Streaming-Box-New-2023-4K-UHD-resolution/2835618394?athbdg=L1100&from=/search

Thanks for the suggestion! I looked into this as well, but I have a Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos compatible setup, so that seems to be the big downside to the Onn box.

I wonder if I could just grab the Onn box for the improved remote. Anyone ever try using an Onn remote with a CCWGTV? Would be cool if the Channel buttons worked in the ChannelsDVR app..

the channel buttons work out of the box. Both in the guide and while watching a channel.

the button remapping app detects the button to launch live tv but i cant remap without the paid version so that probably works too. no idea what CCWGTV is.

As mentioned, it's on par with the CCGTV. The problem is very few apps make use of the extra remote buttons.

The flaw with both is the small amount of storage. However, that seems to be the standard for Android devices.

Thanks - I meant Google Chromecast with Google TV.

1 Like

I am currently using using 3 Tivo4k sticks, the remote is amazing. I "de-Tivoed" all of them and installed the beta version of the CDVR app to make full use of the remote. I even added a USB memory stick to one of them to increase the buffer capacity. So far I have nothing bad to say. My wife likes the home/guide buttons on the remote. Did I say the remote is amazing?

2 Likes