Channels DVR playback of some mkv files is dropping frames and stuttering

My Shield still reports its running version 4.9.5.beta and no, passthrough for DTS is not working. I submitted troubleshooting logs a few days ago.

If I should be running a different updated version, let me know how to get it installed. I did check for updates from within the app and it reports i am running the latest version.

Please try this one.

YES, I've only played one video on the new version so far but its playing smoothly and passing through DTS-HD audio. THANK YOU. I will let you know if I see any further issues in this regard and send troubleshooting logs.

1 Like

Great. DTS-HD was the only pass-through format that my Android TV devices did not support, so I had been unable to test it myself.

This has fixed the issue. Still have a small issue with DD+ very small stutter. Turning off passthrough fixes the problem.

@kennywalsh please submit diagnostics in the app after experiencing it.

I submitted it.

Thanks!

Can you give more detail of what you're experiencing here?

The video looks like there is a dropped frame giving it a small studder look. If I look at the stats there is no dripped frames. Kind of looks like a frame rate mix match.

If there is a person walking it looks like they pause for a half second every step they take.

This is only on the beta version of the app and started when the passthrough option was added. I am using a 2019 shield. Also have the beta on a FireTV Cube 3 withe the same issue.

Thank you for time

Please try out this build and let me know if it's any better.

If you could submit diagnostics after you've played something that would be helpful.

Thanks for the update. Seems the problem must be with my setup.

Again thanks for looking into this for me.

@kennywalsh Could you submit diagnostics again if you're still having the problem?

If you go into Settings -> Playback -> Advanced -> Passthrough and disable the DD+ option does the issue go away?

Sorry to say yes I still have the problem.

And yes if I disable passthrough does fix the problem.

Do not worry about it. Seems I am the only one with the issue.

I'm not sure if that's the case, you just may be more discerning. I'd love to track down what's going wrong and fix it — this is a new feature and seems to have some rough edges that are hard to isolate.

Can confirm the judder.

Onn 4k streaming box fcc id: 2ayys-8822k4vtg

The source video is a 1080p MKV with DTS-HD. The onn box can’t pass through DTS-HD but channels appears to be sending the DTS core.

App version is beta (7.7.1944).

Can also confirm judder with a DD+ file.

Disabling passthrough removes the judder for both.

I submitted diagnostics at 526pm CST.

Sorry for the delay in my response.

I would be happy to test any fix. I also noticed the same thing on Dolby Digital while watching live OTA using HDHomeRun FLEX 4K after updating to v2026.07.07.1944. It is very noticeable when watching the news with the text scrolling on the bottom of the screen.

If I turn off passthrough on Dolby Digital the text scroll is very smooth. With it is on the text seems to stutter.

Again thank you for your help

I found this thread when I came here to report that a bunch of videos don't play properly on my Nvidia Shield... they play really fast with no sound.

I had to turn off passthrough and they now play.

I'm having a similar problem but with OTA tv recordings. Turning off surround sound fixes the stutter but obviously not ideal.

Using a 2023 Onn 4K streaming box but I have the same issue on a 2024 Onn 4K Pro. I only recently started noticing it but that's just because fall TV shows started recording recently. It was working fine in the spring.

Edit: turning off passthrough worked too

EDIT 2: This also solved the problems I would have with ATSC3 channels, which did happen back in the spring as well. Now they play flawlessly. So there does appear to be some issue with the way bitstreaming is implemented on the android side that's impacting performance. This hasn't been an issue on my Apple TV device, just android.

Started seeing dropped frames and audio sync issues on my Nvidia Shield about two weeks ago when playing 4k x265 content with either DTS-HD MA or Dolby Atmos content. This happens on both the stable and beta Android TV client apps. Turning off passthrough for both types of audio rectified the issue, but it seems like more of a band-aid than a true fix.

Similar to Andy I'm having a problem with OTA recordings - video weirdly stuttering. I'm not sure when it started, seems like its been at least a few weeks, but less than a month? Hard to remember.

For me it happens on my Hisense TV (Google built-in) connected to a Soundbar (eARC), but NOT with my Shield TV Pro connected to an AVR (Audio and Video passes through the AVR). The apps are the same versions with the same settings. Speed to the server is excellent, and I'm playing the exact same recording on both.

When AC3 passthrough is on, the stats say "raw_ac3 (raw audio pass-through decoder)" and "Format: raw-ac3". In this mode, the video stutters. When I turn AC3 passthrough off, it says "ac3 (ATSC A/52A (AC-3)" and "Format: floatp". In this mode, the video does not stutter.