Channels DVR vs Emby

No Emby does not support EDL.

How do you get the streams from Channels to Plex, if you do not mind my asking? In Emby one can use the m3u feature but how do you do to for Plex?

Look what I started. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Indirectly. Use xteve to provide the m3u as a virtual hdhr device for plex.

1 Like

Yep

1 Like

@Mik3...lol :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Thank you. I knew about xteve and use it but thought there was some other way.

Sad to say this and maybe I’m way ahead of myself and I will change my mind but I just took channels down and plan to shut down plex and have everything in Emby.

I’m still working through little things but to have a full fledge media centre seems to suit my needs.

I can see see myself spinning channels up again to be used as a source for TVE however.

Anyways... channels is an awesome system.

1 Like

I use Channels DVR as a backend for EMBY and Have Access to everything including TVE and Pluto with no hassle at all. Channels DVR advance passes cannot be beat.

Well, I’m back full time on Channels.

I don’t like emby’s DVR. It appears to have bugs, including one really annoying one. You can keep hitting record series with no indication it’s been setup.

Also, if you change iptv providers it appears it’s not smart enough to update the series recordings for the new channels.

Live TV via hdhomerun transcodes. If I select direct play I loose pause rewind features.

Emby however does have great art work and such.

Lastly, there seems to be UI bugs with the android version I was using. Their beta seemed to fix it though.

As for feature rich, Emby wins. I would love to see channels include trailers, actor information and the ability to see things like “more movies like”.

1 Like

Of course if you use Direct Play of livetv you lose pause rewind that is how it is supposed to work.
If you hit pause it will ask you if you want to switch to timeshift.

1 Like

How does channels do it differently?

1 Like

Channels does not actually do Direct Play on LIVETV It writes a buffer to the Client ... which I hate and you will lose it if you hit record. I prefer the way EMBY does it ... If I select Direct play LiveTV that is what I want... on EMBY you either want direct play or you do not you have a choice.

Plex does it better than both ... when watching LiveTV on 1 Client and you bring up another Client it will ask you if you want to start from the beginning of the buffer or watch Live.

PS...

I use all of them and like them all... Channels DVR is more feature rich for us techies. I also use Channels to control stream sharing across applications. EMBY PLEX and Channels DVR when watching the same Channel only use 1 tuner ... thanks to Channels DVR.

Emby - extremely low WAF score. Pluse the fact it is written in C# makes it even worse with constant hiccups lasting a few seconds where it doesn't respond to remote. Just my 2¢

1 Like

Wow 7 months later must be bored ... J/K

I know I am bored with this football game.

We put on a Macy’s parade from 1990 on YouTube. :joy:

2 Likes

I like Emby a lot and have a lifetime subscription. That being said haven't used it much lately.
We got rid of cable and TiVo and the wife was very used to automatically skipping commercials. That's why we use Channels DVR now. That's the only reason. Hopefully Emby will add that feature.
Channels DVR works pretty good but Emby looks much better.

Emby is mostly non-functional if you are timeshifting. It's fine if you watch recordings after they are recorded, if you are trying to pause or FF/RW live TV while recording it's only a bit better than poking your eyes out with a fork.

[edit] It is awesome for my movie and old TV collection, didn't mean to bash so hard. I was referring to the live TV aspect of Emby.

1 Like

All of this. The only thing I like better about emby for live tv or dvr is the transparent guide over live tv. But it’s too slow when changing channels, unstable and unpredictable when Ff/rw through buffer, the nice menu functionality is ruined by trying to stuff too much “fancy” on the guide itself.

Neither solution offers multiple live tv buffers (pause one thing, switch to other, pause, switch back) which is the one thing I just can’t get over from my TiVo divorce. If a solution comes a long that can ever duplicate that experience I’ll put a ring on it.

1 Like

You’re in luck then. Their is an unofficial plugin that skips commercials now.

2 Likes