Channels DVR - What do I get for $8 / month?

here in the UK what are the services that I get for enabling DVR functionality other than the Gracenote EPG which duplicates the broadcast Freeview EPG, including recording triggers transmitted by the TV stations. I presume there must be some complex behaviours carried out on Channels servers to support DVR functionality. Just curious to understand what these behaviours are.

DVR subscribers get to use the DVR software for that month. See: https://getchannels.com/dvr/ There aren’t any servers to speak of, because it’s a local install. It’s really that simple. If you don’t think its worth it, there are alternatives. It’s probably worth $8 to take a test drive and see.

I dont code and I don’t like Plex or the SD DVR. I love this cheap and wonderful DVR.

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification. I’ll probably give it a couple of months to see how I can get on with it. However, my wife is unlikely to take it on as the set top box DVR has a 2 week EPG and can start a recording at EXACTLY the start time of the programme.

Channels DVR will get you two weeks and should always start on time too.

Were you using a different HDHR DVR that’s didnt start on time?

Other than what is mentioned in https://getchannels.com/dvr/ there are features that the DVR enables that may be worth it. Examples: Remote iewing using an ATV at a remote location or IOS devices. Remote viewing using ANY computer (with a supported browser).

There are many experiential/alpha/beta (though most are on hold right now) features that also depend on DVR such as Roku support and FireTV support.

Yes, and let’s not forget supporting a service that is of high quality. Way better than paying $12/month to a cable provider. Plex is okay for $5 but I don’t like the interface and the live TV function for them needs encoding, and thus slows down watching live TV. I’ve tried both, and think Channels is THE DVR for AppleTV at the moment.

4 Likes

13 posts were split to a new topic: Feature request: “Accurate Recording” support in UK

Heck, I couldn’t even get my cable provider’s DVR to work that way. I always found it to start and end incorrectly.

Channels DVR doesn’t record on hour or half hour marks. It starts and ends exactly at the scheduled start and end times, unless you adjust further with padding.

I’m sort of shocked and confused about this. There are hardware DVRs in 2018 that don’t actually bother to adhere to scheduled start and end times? How could they be worth anything? Do they just round up to the whole hour marker or something?

Our guide data has very specific start and end times, and we adhere to it.

I’ve started a new topic about Accurate Recording support for the UK: Feature request: “Accurate Recording” support in UK

3 Likes