Channels DVR + Xteve / Telly

To each their own. While you definitely need to get more into the guts of the software with Telly than xTeve, it runs fast and lean for me. I set my m3u according to @dt126's methods months ago and it meets my needs perfectly.

just gonna leave this here...

i currently have both locast and pluto running into my channels server via this. the only issue i see so far is figuring out how to get a guide in for pluto, since they're not real channels and the dvr won't load a guide you provide it.

@Tom_Leach

You can run Telly in a Docker Container, like on a NAS system. You may have to mess with the IP addresses depending on how you set up Channels but I think it will work. I haven't tried it yet but probably will when I upgrade my NAS to a faster processor.

I know of no way to do this under Android, however. It would be great for a Shield, for example, but I don't think it's possible at this point.

Let us know if you try the Docker route and it works.

Thanks.

1 Like

does channels finally allow you to send your own guide data with a source? i still haven't been able to get this to work, and it makes adding pluto tv pretty much useless since the guide is blank for all channels...

Its really not even supported anymore as the last update was in 2018 with version 1.1. v1.5 works better but they aren't spending anytime on it to make it any better. If Channels worked with xTeVe it would be a world of change for everyone.

you guys all should really look at fHDHR. way easier to get running, i have two sources literally up in a matter of minutes. i spent MONTHS messing with telly and xteve and could never get either one to work reliably...

So it just creates an HDHR instance? Can you edit channel numbers as well?

yes, and not yet. that's something i'm actually planning on trying to implement myself over the weekend, but right now it uses whatever channel numbers it gets from the source (pluto, locast, etc).

that's actually the main reason i was drawn to it in the first place...i've been banging the "please let us use OTA numbers for locast" for months, and it has gotten no traction with the devs...so i did it myself this way.

I have all my channels in Xteve changed to mimic the DirecTV channels that we are used to. Problem is I can't use xteve with channels dvr

that's literally the exact reason i wanted the ability to change channel numbers from within channels. my current plan (and this is at least a month out probably, depending how much time i have to work on it)...

• implement the ability to change channel numbers in fHDHR
  • fork fHDHR and allow it to use channels as an input
  • run a second channels server with the fHDHR from channels feeding it with the updated channel numbers

step 1 i hope to be able to do this weekend, steps 2 and 3 are a little bit more involved i think.

Can you use fHDHR with any source? Fubo, Philo, Hulu etc?

as of now, no...could you implement it yourself? i suppose, but that would be a ton of work. hence why i wanted to just do one additional implementation (allow it to use channels as a source), and then use the fake HDHR created by that to feed a second channels instance. theoretically that would allow us to modify the channel numbers on the back end before they're fed into that second channels instance. the first channels instance would be there only to supply all the TVE channels to fHDHR, nothing else really...

I'll ask the author.

@crackers8199 made an account to reply, channel number swapping via the webUI is already on my todo list!

Mythtv and channels as inputs are also on the backburner list.

@shdwkeeper if there is an API for a service that is semi-usable without resorting to weird methods, it can be an input. I spent a good amount of time making it easy to swap the 'origin' channels source. I even built a wrapper around the channels infrastructure to create a channel number for 'origin' sources that don't have things like channel numbers.

One of the repos is written for my wife, and scrapes the guide information from a PDF file!

I also have a semi-working version for youtube that needs some attention, it's very feasible to take playlist ID's and create a program guide.

1 Like

Additionally, since these use ssdp for service discovery, I created a system to 'cluster' fHDHR instances together for easy management.

i planned to try to work on it this weekend, but you'd probably be able to get it done quicker than me. either way i'll see what i can get done and go from there...

@crackers8199 the hard part that I have to figure out is an internal ID system. For instance with the NextPVR version, I use the alternative zap2it epg method, which has it's own ID system. The Locast repo also includes zap2it as a method, and I need to make it so rmapping works for everything fluidly

i think i'm gonna leave this to you lol...i've taken a cursory look at it and i'm not sure i'll be able to make this work without completely mangling it. like i said, python isn't my language of choice...so i'm trying to figure it all out and work my way through python at the same time.

If telly stops running because server maintenance whatever, I have to readd it as a source. is this normal behaviour

I would love a way to get this working in channels. Any thoughts?