Channels DVR + Xteve / Telly

Thank you @imx

I do have the latest version so it seems like that’s not my problem after all.

Maybe this would solve it:

Not sure how I can get that option before the release though?

Or I might just have to go down the TVH route or wait for native sat>ip support to improve.

I went back to using TVHeadend, then exporting the M3u from TVH to Channels - it has a number of benefits for my setup, channel tuning speed being one of them. TVH has a LOT of tweaks and various enhancements for Sat>IP generally, as I seem to recall a lot of devs used it.

Whilst I know a few people have put out M3Us to be used directly with a Sat>IP box, it's just a bit of a faff to manage - at least with TVH I can rescan, move channels around (as I just had to do with the removal of ITVBe+1), then click 'reload M3U' in Channels.

1 Like

Yes you are probably right. I don’t mind editing the m3u with the channel changes. Don’t have to do it too often but I can see the benefits of TVH. I was thinking of adding it as a source with an old Pi I had and the it could fall back to the old method if there was any trouble with it. I probably would have to run 2 instances of telly then maybe.

I’m lucky it’s only a minor annoyance of waiting an extra couple of seconds for channel changes. Thanks again.

You don’t have to run any Telly instances with TVH? I just add the TVH m3u export direct to channels.

http://tvheadend-server:9981/playlist/channels.m3u

… reading your posts above you mention you’re using an m3u direct from your sat>Ip, to telly. But Channels can read an m3u natively these days? So there should be no need for telly in this situation? :slight_smile:

1 Like

I was just thinking if something happened the TVH it might fall back on the original Telly.

Yes I have tried the direct m3u and some channels work but others take longer to tune or not work at all.

Ah ok.

Don’t get me wrong, TVHeadend is not especially friendly, but having used it for a number of years before Channels I’m used to its quirks.

… I’m not sure I could make it through one evening of sighing from the other half if a channel took 8 seconds to load/change. :wink:

I don’t know exactly what TvHeadend does, in terms of how it processes or skips errors/junk, but I’ve tried what I would consider to be a like-for-like with a manually crafted m3u channel (direct from sat>ip) into Channels, then the same via TVHeadend first before into Channels and HD channels are always noticeably faster. I would say this is comparable to what I remember from a Sky+ HD box… although it has been a few years!

1 Like

Yes I think if you get 4 seconds or less you are doing well. That’s my goal anyway.

I will take another dive with TVH and try and get it going.

Thanks again.

Hi @imx or anyone that can help

I am setting up tvheadend but having an issue with exporting the m3u.

I get it downloaded by using the playlist url but I think I need to make it always have authentication so the token doesn’t expire if I have that correct?

I have version 4.2.8 which the repo says is that latest version however I seen online that version 4.3 might work better however I don’t know how to install this and any help would be greatly appreciated. I am using an old raspberry pi.

1 Like

Create a * user:

Config -> Users -> Access Entries (no password entry required)

I generally run the latest 4.3.x branch, built from source - but not on a Pi. I think there are some m3u export enhancements in 4.3 from memory, such as including the channel number specified in TVHeadend (which is probably quite important, to make it easier to sync TVH and Channels).

1 Like

Thank you again @imx

I will try that

Update: Yes I can now connect. Tuning is a little faster and I will continue to tweak it. I might try the direct tvheadend link with custom channels and test from there. Thank you.

Update2: I forgot to hash out ffmpeg setting in Telly and now it’s tuning very fast

1 Like

Old thread, but is there ever going to be any windows support for fHDHR? I'd love to use it, but my entire media server setup is run on windows currently... and I'm not going to switch it all to Linux, because that introduces other issues.

Should run just fine on Windows

I was experimenting with this setup for telly and it works, but on my iPad I actually just have Channels DVR for Homerun, and here it doesn't list any channels, althouhg it sees the device name when I add it manually, I guess whatever was done to support it in the web interface wasn't done in the app ?