Channels HTTP API

Could I add another API request please!

Channel button presses 0-9?

Thanks

Why emulate button presses when you can go directly to a channel: POST /api/play/channel/###

1 Like

That's great but my remote doesn't have as many buttons as channels.

Then perhaps you can clarify what it is exactly that you're trying to achieve, because it appears I have no idea what you're actually asking for.

2 Likes

I have a remote and I'd like to map the number buttons to Channels so I can type a tv channel number in, what else would one use that for? Are you a developer?

The clients already handle the number key presses; the API is not needed for that. Just program your remote to send the appropriate key:

My remote connects via a home automation system and IP HTTP commands is the only way I can program 'extra' remote commands, so I appreciate your suggestion but it's not suitable on this occasion.

This is the sort of hack needed for proper cord cutting and it's not super easy to please all customers I'm sure.

I would like a thing, but Iā€™m not going to tell you what it is, nor am I going to tell you why. Please expedite.

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure what you mean by this and now Iā€™m curious, lol

I thought I was a proper cord cutter by simply using the supplied remote with the Apple TV for the past couple of years. Guess I, my wife and kids have been wrong :person_shrugging:

Unless I remain confused, none of that explains why you canā€™t use the existing API to achieve the same end result youā€™re looking for.

Can I get an api to use my clapper to initiate downloads of sports recordings to my iOS device for offline watching. That would be super dope!! LOL

Iā€™m really not sure why itā€™s so controversial!

Would just like to be able to type in channel 1 - 0 - 1 with number buttons using api.

1 Like

I used the wrong terminology perhaps.

Mass cord cutting is more what I meant - youā€™re a dedicated cord cutter!

And how would that end result be any different from using the current API to:

POST /api/play/channel/101

?

Because, I have a long list of channels and I donā€™t have one button per channel.

Just like most satellite/cable/terrestrial boxes, their remote comes with numbered buttons and I would like to access this via HTTP post.

I see this can be done via keyboard but would ideally like to go via above.

Have I cleared this up yet?

You have a fully customizable display upon which you can place any button you want, and youā€™d rather put a numerical keypad which force you to remember what each channelā€™s number is, and type them in manually, than place buttons with matching channel logos that take you to their corresponding channels?

1 Like

The latency involved with any system that would make system REST calls to ā€œdial numbersā€ would fall below the timeouts the channel changing requires in Channels.

Channels has an api for changing channels directly with numbers, there are no plans to allow single key inputs.

1 Like

Do I? How do you know what remote I have?

Ok thanks - so the only way to do this is via a Bluetooth keyboard control?