Channels IP addresses for remote streaming

I'm locking down my remote streaming port forwarding rule to my parent's specific IP address in my firewall. However, this causes the initial "away from home" setup to fail when you enter the code displayed on the apple tv. I'm assuming that some Channels owned infrastructure is trying to connect to my IP address and is being blocked. Is there a list of IP addresses for the Channels infrastructure that is used to establish the initial away from home connection? I could whitelist those and it should take care of the problem.

I'd be interested in this as well. Plex's remote proxy service has a list of IP's that connections will be initiated from and they keep it up to date. You could also just do this with a DNS record as well.

I log remote connections on a syslog server. I tested this by turning off wifi on my phone and going to whatismyip.com to see what the public ip was. When I connect to a website on the same server as is hosting channels, I can see this request on 443 from the public ip I found. With channels app, however, it is an incoming connection using a different IP on 8089. Almost like it is using a proxy server. I tried it twice, and both times the connection came from 166.170.31.116. I don't know if that is similar for everyone. Maybe you could try allowing 166.0.0.0/8. But its probably going to be more reliable if you just allow all connections on 8089. You know the remote client still needs to authorize, right? Only channels is listening on 8089. And the Channels service isn't accessible by anyone that doesn't have your account information.

See the discussion here:

1 Like
$ dig my.channelsdvr.net

; <<>> DiG 9.16.24-RH <<>> my.channelsdvr.net
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 53054
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 3, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 65494
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;my.channelsdvr.net.            IN      A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
my.channelsdvr.net.     280     IN      A       172.67.74.22
my.channelsdvr.net.     280     IN      A       104.26.10.141
my.channelsdvr.net.     280     IN      A       104.26.11.141

From https://www.ip-address.org/reverse-lookup/reverse-ip.php

Domain: 166.170.31.116
IP Address: 166.170.31.116
Hostname: mobile-166-170-31-116.mycingular.net

Same results from this site Reverse IP Lookup - MxToolbox

1 Like

I was referring to a connection from the iOS app. But probably a cellular connection is not a good way to test. Anyway, @tmm1 has already resolved OPs issue.