Channels Live TV

Wouldn’t be nice for the Channels team to launch a Live TV service? Like YouTube TV, or Hulu Live tv. Fully integrated with Channels DVR for local recording, commercial skip and so on. And THAT would be a perfect integration, not like the flaky TVE. And getting paid for it, subscription fees.

Probably wishful thinking, but thinking anyways…

1 Like

And turn their product in to a much more commercialized bloatware thing like Plex has.....no thanks.

If that is what you want, a home media center software that offers Live TV of its own, then, it already exists, Plex.

Channels DVR will always be the bring-your-own sources type software. (I hope)

You already have the ability to add your own Live TV you could want to Channels DVR, including the Plex tv channels and Pluto, you just have to do the work your self. Instructions on how to do that are in these forms.

2 Likes

Agree. I like that the UI remains the same while at the same time I can do what I want to bring sources in the through the backend. My dream is that providers will realize that their content has the best shot of being viewed if they make it easy for aggregators like Channels to pull that content in. I hate having to remember what app to use to watch what I want. My dream is there being just one. Kinda like how Home Assistant integrates just about everything so I don’t have to remember which app opens my garage door, and then try to explain it to someone else. Just one app.

2 Likes

https://community.getchannels.com/t/master-list-free-working-m3u-custom-channels/30983

For anyone who remembers the whole "SiliconDust Premium Channels" debacle that they offered, this is a horrible idea, and something that shouldn't even be considered with a 50' pole.

Yep. That was a disaster. I’m just hoping that providers come along in a similar way as some smart home device makers in providing a API for simple integration. Big dream I know. But we are going through radical change. Why not hope for the best?

Yeah that is kind of getting too close to the fate that happened to Plex. Plex is still great for many things but it is monstrous bloatware now. The beauty of Channels is really that the end product use is extremely elegant and simple. It may take a higher level of skill to get things “perfect”, but once you get there it is awesome.

Plus I am thinking that more “subscription fees” is kind of the opposite of what everyone here want.

3 Likes

I think we are actually in agreement.