Channels not displaying embedded MOV_TEXT subtitles

When I view movies or tv shows from my Channels Library using Channels in Windows or my iPhone, the subtitles switch allows me to turn subtitles on or off, but subtitles are not displayed at all. The same file when viewed in Plex on any device displays subtitles when subtitles are turned on. In Plex, the subtitles are displayed as MOV_TEXT which are embedded subtitles when you look at the information for the file. These files were recorded using Channels or PlayOn, then shrunk to HEVC .mp4 files using MCEbuddy.

The only way to view subtitles in Channels is with files which were recorded using the DVR feature. I don't use that DVR feature except to record the files, which I then trim using Avidemux and save to .mp4, then I shrink the files using MCEbuddy, which extracts the subtitles then reinserts them in the final HEVC .mp4 file as MOV-TEXT subtitles.

Is there some reason why Channels won't display subtitles for these .mp4 files in my library but Plex will?

Please find one of these imports on the web UI, click View Details and then post a screenshot of what's shown

I just tested a PlayOn import with movtext subs on my Apple TV (with both stable and beta) and its working.

Maybe you can send us a video sample where it doesn't work?

Never mind, I found sample that shows the issue. Not sure why some work and others don't.

Okay this has been fixed in the TestFlight beta.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.