Channels not matching movies on import

When I import new movies to Channels, it is not matching them. I have to 'Fix incorrect match' on each one manually. All movies are named in the following manner as standard by Radarr and Plex naming convention:

Movie Title (Release Year) Quality Mediainfo
as an example:
The Hospital (2013) Remux-1080P H264 DTS-HD MA.mkv

When fixing each listing match manually if I delete everything after the release year, it automatically finds the correct match. Channels should ignore the information after release year if it does not need it. This naming convention is already supported by Radarr, Plex and all major indexers.

Can this be updated in Channels so it would not be necessary to manually edit each and every movie imported?

I never remember seeing that filename format in Plex documentation.
Since I haven't used Plex in awhile, I looked it up and don't see it.

Maybe true for Radarr

and whatever those are.

Channels DVR Channels Support - Import Your Own Movies and TV Shows

Its documented on the same pages you reference that Plex ignores information after the release year. If you do not know what Radarr and usenet indexers are, then I suppose you are not very deep into the media collection scene. Discussion of what they are and how they are used is not a topic for this forum. Suffice it to say the user base of both of those things is far larger than Channels.

Can Channels please be updated to ignore information in the file name after release year like Plex does so it can properly import correctly named files?

Best soultion is to use filebot with the plex settings and have it rename your imports. It can be set up to run via an automated script. Doubtful the devs are going to modify Channels to take care of the "less than legal" movie imports...

Renaming the files is useless, Radarr needs the file quality and codec info. So once again, Channels will never be the media management tool that Plex already is and stay relegated to DVR chores. Our family uses Channels much more than Plex already but without the ability to bring in the large library the Plex manages and continue to update, it will never replace Plex. My workaround already 'works' for the small number of current movies I place in Channels.

I really thought it was a pretty simple ask, for Channels to simply ignore the data it does not use, just as Plex does so that it stays compliant with the larger soffware mix that are often used together. Without simple adjustments to cooperate across tools, Channels will remain the small niche product it is.

As far as 'less than legal' swipe, lets not throw stones inside this glass house. This whole shebang is operating in a very large grey area.

You say that if you manually edit the file name then it imports and matches ok. Filebot can do this automated. Not sure what you are complaining about.

Grey area? The will not allow discussion on illegal sources/content. Nothing else they do is questionable. You post a filename that is obviously not something you purchased and then get pissy when someone offers you a solution?

You’re wrong. Radarr keeps the file info,quality etc in the database. Radarr will rename the file the proper way into your file system while preserving metadata in its database.

If you have never had to reimport your collection into Radarr, you have not been using it long. Keeping the basics in the file name so that it can reimport to the database has long been advised by the developers.

As for 'a filename that is obviously not something" I have a right to use, how the F would you know? The file name was created by Radarr when it was imported and I very much have rights to view that film. Get off your high horse already.

And by Grey area, I was referring the time shifting and place shifting of streaming media by Channels. Which is EXACTLY what I have been doing manually for years and am trying to more cleanly integrate with Channels.

Sorry but when I asked for a very simple update I was not expecting this level of attack from other users. I have been using Channels for many years and have always found the developer pretty helpful.

I was wondering myself why @slampman assumed right away it was less than legal.

1 Like

Radarr is a tool to download movies from Usenet and BitTorrent. I do not know of any legal distributors of videos that use either of these two means to deliver content (but that doesn't mean there aren't any).

In any case, this topic is about filenames for Channels to use. The OP has been directed to the support document for the proper way to name files for Channels. I understand the desire to keep a single filesystem to share across different applications; however this is not Channels' purpose.

I'm not sure calling Channels a "small niche product" in reference to Radarr is an apt comparison.

We’re looking into this.

1 Like

Perhaps I cannot follow my own links or read.
Mind posting the URL where you see that?

As of the latest pre-release, this filename format is now supported by the indexer:

As a constructive comment, this thread got really hostile very fast for no good reason. Let's try to chill out a little. This thread was only opened 16 hours ago, on a Sunday. We do our best to respond to things, but I think it's fair to give us a little time for something like this.

2 Likes

source? im curious as to why they say that if they have a media manager and a way to back up and restore.

p.s. ive been using radarr since pre alpha when the gui still said sonarr and all ive done since then is restore the database.

Thank you, thank you. And apologies for fanning the flames. I should have let it go.

And for the record, the timing is AMAZING. Even if agreed to look at it I would not have expected an update so quickly. Thanks again for a great product that my family uses more every week.