Channels vs Plex

So when I watch recordings on my Apple TV they will be commercial free ? How wonderful. Let me find that program. Thank you.

Midwaybrit:

I did Plex before Channels, a mess in many ways, and wife would not touch it. No problem with Channels on AppleTV and iPad for her.

AppleTV remote takes getting used to, but once you do, it’s way fast to skip commercials. Having said, that, we find oldie TV shows commercial detection is not so good, but you can move really fast with the AppleTV remote so not a big problem since you can skip fast. Newer TV shows have no problem.

The only thing we have issues with is that some information we are used to on our DirecTV DVR (Comcast, etc.) is missing. Some simple like the current time on all screens, the biggie for us is that Channels 3.2 removed first airing date, we need both airing and recording date like on other DVRs. I sent a ticket to ask for first airing to come back. Also… and this is major, there is no cast and crew info. There are other issues that I hope get ironed out, but the bottom line is I recommend this to all my friends and even setup a few since we got ours.

3 Likes

Can you answer a question for me ? I Have installed MCE Buddy on the same computer as my Channels DVR. Is that all I have to do ? Will MCE now skip commercials on everything I record ? If not, what do I have to do ?
Thanks in advance for your help. If I can get this working, I shall keep my Channels DVR !!!

Thanks for your input. I think if I had Cable or Satellite it would justify the cost of the $8 a month. It just seems a lot for OTA only. There is no doubt the interface so so much better than Plex. Even with their new Program Guide.
All the best to you and your wife.
Andy

Yeah go to the settings, then under “Monitor Locations” choose “Add.” Now find the folder that is Channels DVR/TV where you installed Channels. Then press ok. Then add another one from that same folder for the Movies at Channels DVR/Movies. And for the “Expert Settings” I check “Delete Original File” and my “Minimum Age before Processing” is 2 hours.

Under the “Conversion Tasks” choose “Add” then if you have enough space on your hard drive I would just choose the Profile “HDHomerun Unprocessed” if you want the best picture quality. The file size is huge though. All it does is strip the commercials and doesn’t convert the file format so it doesn’t take any time at all. Mine can strip the commercials for an hour program in about 25 min (click Show History on the main page in top left to see how long each one is taking to convert). This might only be available on the paid version, I’m not sure.

Leave Ad remover as Comskip. Make sure to uncheck any of the renaming Advanced options or Channels won’t recognize the files. And leave the “Destination” part empty. It will warn you that “No destination directory provided, converted file will be placed in original video directory.” But just push ok, it will simply overwrite the file and Channels will still be able to play it.

And that’s it! Every so often a commercial will sneak through but it is pretty accurate! I then leave the “Enable Commmercial Detection” off for the settings in Channels DVR because I no longer need it! Now just leave MCE Buddy open and it will automatically convert anything Channels records!

1 Like

You can get the paid version of MCEBuddy for $20 if you go to their Facebook page, like it and then click on the “Premium Access Coupon” on the left side of the browser. It will have a link there. The paid version is faster and has more options. And you support the developer!

Phew…thank you for all that. I will give it a shot tomorrow. It’s all a bit overwhelming at first sight, but hopefully I’ll get it right. If not you may see another message from me !!
Thanks again.
Andy

:drooling_face: Beautiful!

But while I love Plex for non-broadcasted shows/films, I won't be switching to it for live TV anytime soon, even though their new grid looks gorgeous. I find it slow to change channels, more picky about signal quality, no auto ad skip/display (just removal), too many actions to get to grid view etc.

Saying that Channels could certainly learn a few things from their grid, the display of start times within the grid is very handy, as is the start and end times at the top (Look at the Channels grid, can you tell what time Countdown starts, or when Neighbours finishes, or how long Red Rock is on for?).

Plus the indicator for the current time, showing how far into a current program you are is much clearer. Being able to see programs just finished is nice too.

8 Likes

I like those refinement ideas.

I also like what was stated above about first airing date and recorded date. Those are crucial pieces of info in determining what is what.

Channels is by far better at anything to do with watching live TV and DVR. Plex is great with movie and music. Channels offered everything that Plex does but the interface is way, way, way better, faster and simpler. It is like having a cable box but not. Some of the big differences for live TV for Channels is the rewind of live TV. Such as watching a football replay. Watching a recording while the TV show is still recording so you can skip the commercials as it still recording. Short cuts to your favorite shows. Quick switch between channels. It’s truly the best TV/DVR going. Channels for all your TV needs and Plex for your media is what I recommend.

4 Likes

@maddox That is great news! I switched my subscription as soon as I saw your post! Just curious - Any chance you’d consider a lifetime subscription option?

Very appreciative for that annual DVR option. Now if only you’d reconsider the highly requested option of a trial version of your main app.
It’s almost a guarantee that you would gain many more paid users if they could simply try out the app before having to fork over $25 for it. (The minuscule two hour Google Play Store refund period does NOT suffice for a trial period).
Thank you for the consideration.

Imagine if the Channels guide featured a light and dark mode :wink:

3 Likes