Chrome Capture for Channels

Yes, tvc-guide-placeholders="1800". And you could add tvc-guide-placeholders-grouping="channel" to make all the recordings end up under one show instead of a different show per half-hour.

3 Likes

Nice! I found maddox's post covering this. Awesome sauce.

For those using a Windows 10 or 11 PC as a headless server,and don't have a dummy plug, here is a github repo that access a Microsoft feature call Indirect Display Driver; GitHub - ge9/IddSampleDriver: Add virtual monitors to your windows 10 device! Works with Oculus software, obs, and any desktop sharing software. It involves a little command line work and also work in Device Manager, but once installed it worked very nicely for me. I was able to add a virtual monitor at 3840 x 2160 fairly easily and it does help with the borders issue. It might also be a placebo effect, but the video seemed crisper and clearer.

3 Likes

Does anyone know if it's possible to simply record a video playing in chrome manually without setting up a channel? For example, I had a missed recording of a show on CW, and now have to watch the episode using the CW app and their 5 minute long commercials. Is there a way to simply start the episode in a chrome window and have it recorded into Channels?

Found this as well, create up to 4 virtual monitors.
Didn't solve any of the capture problems for me though.

Your Mileage May Vary.
https://www.amyuni.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3030

1 Like

Can the episodes in the CW app also be played on their website? I havenā€™t tried this, but, if so, could you record a placeholder channel (any channel in the guide), and when it starts recording, go to the machine running Chrome Capture for Channels, go to the tab that is being recorded, and navigate to the episode on the website and start playing it? I did this with the HDMI encoder method discussed elsewhere in these forums (set the guide to record a very long show, and when the recording started, I went to the streaming stick being recorded and switched to something else to records),. People more skilled than me might have a more streamlined method.

I am using a M1 mac mini (MacOS Monterey 12.6.6) as Channels server and for CC4C, running the latest release [v0.1.10]. My sources are: NBC website, Spectrum and YTTV. Spectrum seems to be the most stable/reliable source.

When I need more than one feed/tab, there is a little stutter on the running feed when the second chrome tab opens up. If I stop the second feed, right after the tab closes, the video on the first feed freezes, the audio continues. If I go to the server and double click on the minimized chrome icon that has the first feed, video starts working again.

Anyone else seeing this behavior?, any tips/suggestions would be appreciated.

@tmm1, any chance that chrome can be opened and minimized again automatically when a feed is stoped?

Running this on Windows with NBC and Fubo as sources.
Starting an NBC channel will cause any existing streams to stumble while the NBC feed loads. Starting a Fubo channel does not do this. Maybe it loads faster. Not sure.

I get this exact same behavior. I just moved my server and Chrome Capture from a 2013 MacBook Air to an M1 Mac mini with 16 GB of memory, and the stutter is shorter, but still there. And I get the freezing of the first feed, too, when stopping the second.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B093Q2DPKW though I suspect a 10-pack is overkill for most people. :smile:

1 Like

I just moved this back to my main PC 18 core Xeon with Quadro RTX5000.
Added the 3rd monitor (dummy) set to 120hz.
Running the Capture task at "above normal" priority.
It's nearly perfect.
Rarely notice anything starting new streams.
Fubo works better than the NBC site.
Problem is deciding which services to keep.

Anyway....making progress.

1 Like

I noticed that development seems to have slowed down on this project or at least the frequency of updates. Iā€™m just wondering if this is a stop gap for the time being as it is refined and ultimately bundled into Channels server or if it is more of a weekend project to appease those looking for a temporary work aroundā€¦

Has anyone been able to rectify this or no why CDVR can't send the appropriate url to stream for either east or west feeds. It will only point to the brand url. Seems to disregards anything after example /live?brand=syfy

This project appears to be a free for all as everyone has different needs... right now it is all over the place.

I just noticed that YTTV is not working for me using CC4C, I get the following error when logging in:

Chrome: Version 114.0.5735.198 (Official Build) (arm64), M1 Mac Mini.

I had this issue early on in the process, but forget what fixed it ā€” perhaps a later build? Are you using the latest build on GitHub?

I get this error when I'm not using the DNS servers for my ISP or not using a SSL connection.

1 Like

Does it works if you paste that url directly into the browser?

1 Like

yes. Same for all nbc brands like syfy

"https://www.nbc.com/live?brand=syfy&callsign=syfy_east"
"https://www.nbc.com/live?brand=syfy&callsign=syfy_west"

Then you need to url encode it

Replace & with %26

1 Like