Chrome Capture for Channels

Good to hear. I have a very, very slight judder every once in a while. It's really only noticeable when watching a channel with text crawling on the bottom of the page. You can notice a hiccup in the text, but it happens infrequently, and not often enough to see in normal viewing.

I would get bad stuttering if the CC4C machine's screen went to sleep. Since I'm running it headless, I just set the screen to never sleep, and never have a screensaver.

what additions did you make to main.js? I am on spectrum and getting pretty bad stutter, even if I make chrome have higher priority. does the docker work better than the exe file?

I am going pc -> shield tv through ethernet.

Testing Pac 12 Network and Spectrum Sportsnet

I'm going CC4C PC-->Channels PC-->nVidia Shield. All ethernet connections. My only changes to the main.js file were suggestions from bweezy21,

'--enable-accelerated-video-decode',
'--enable-accelerated-video-encode',

I played around with different codecs and bitrates, but ended up returning to the original settings. Sounds like you either have a very mismatched framerate/encoding issue, or there are network issues. I don't know if it helped, but before I started CC4C, I made the same tweaks to the CC4C PC as I do for the Channels PC. I turned off network auto tuning and flow control, and tweaked a bunch of network adapter settings. Here's a link that talks about tweaking the NIC settings for streaming. Play with them as you wish. :grinning:

Nice. I hate to ask here, but do you know how to pull m3u from channels? I was going to try and use it in nextpvr and see if it runs any better as well. So you have a dedicated CC4C pc? I am just using the channels pc/server -> shield. is that my issue?

Channels server is 7th gen i5 with 16gb ram and 1070.

Yes, I'm running CC4C on it's own machine. Certainly possible that some other processes are hurting CC4C? The GTX1070 should be more than enough to offload some of the encoding workload. Have you checked on the PC resources when CC4C is encoding? CPU %, memory usage, etc.

If you want to grab an m3u from Channels you can use a url like this

http://localhost:8089/devices/TVE-Fubo/channels.m3u

Where localhost should be the ip of Channels server, and "TVE-Fubo" is the name of source within Channels that you want. Assume in your case it would have Spectrum in the name. You can also export the guide data, as well, with something similar to this.

http://localhost:8089/devices/TVE-Fubo/guide/xmltv?duration=1209600

I don't get more than 20% cpu, so it shouldnt be the cpu. Also, I am using a 2.5gbe adapter (though my network is only gigabit). I will try and mess with the adapter settings. What docker command do you use to make the js file run properly? I think a dedicated cc4c may be a bit overkill since I think I can only stream 3 streams a time on spectrum, and probably will rarely use more than 1.

1 Like

I have no experience running CC4C in Docker. There are many posts about it, and the challenges of doing it that way. CC4C is a bit of resource hog, especially when running 3-4 streams. So, you do need a fair amount of power, although again, a reasonable discrete GPU can offload a lot of that work.

1 Like

I am just confused how to modify the main.js file without messing with docker.

don't use docker.

1 Like

how do I modify the main.js?

1 Like

any text editor, notepad, notepad++, vs code...

I cant use this process though:

it fails to get it (see above)

try in powershell

by the way you realize there is an exe you can run as well right? that also works better than the docker version.

1 Like

why arent these added by default?

I use the exe, but it doesnt let you run

1 Like

most likely because there is no way to guarantee compatibility with all machines. also this is a side project built to help fill a hole left by nbc going to drm streams. just my guess.

is your windows 10 up to date? also maybe you don't have winget look here - Use the winget tool to install and manage applications | Microsoft Learn

If the wingit commands are not working, you can install node, separately.

Then download the CC4C code from github. You can modify the main.js file, then run in powershell using "node main.js"

2 Likes