Chrome Capture for Channels

Got vnc working using portainer, but I get a black screen when vncing in.

1 Like

Apparently, I have to visit http://ip_of_docker_machine:5589/debug?url=https://stream.directv.com/guide while I am in the vnc connection on another monitor.

I am using the below as my m3u as a test but I get a black screen then it stops playing.

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:-1 channel-id="ESPN",ESPN
chrome://localhost:5589/stream?ch=ESPN&url=http://stream.directv.com/guide
#EXTINF:-1 channel-id="ESPN2",ESPN2
chrome://localhost:5589/stream?ch=ESPN2url=http://stream.directv.com/guide

When I try to play something in vnc it says this video can not be played at this time.

Any advice is welcome. thanks.

The Fubo Docker works great here.
No problems at all. I've got some other stuff going plus complete TVE access.
Channels users should consider using FUBO.
If you want a link PM directly and we will help you get some savings for that first month.

NO TNT networks must have for me.

This is not in the correct format. Please go through the directions above first and all the confirmations (at least doing one for Windy to understand the formatting) before adding in your own stations.

That is part of the problem. the other part is directv stream does not have separate urls for each channel, so how do I tell it to tune to a certain channel. thanks.

I don't think it works with Stream.

See: (8) Troubleshooting / Common Issues

2 Likes

Anyone with Spectrum using CC4C and able to get the closed captions to work automatically? I have them enabled by default when I manually start up the web player in Chrome, but testing CC4C they are not enabled. If I enable them within the CC4C browser, which isn't easy BTW, it doesn't stick.

I also can't get it to go full screen automatically, either.

I've been messing around with this for a couple of days with no real success. I sort of understand how all this is wired together, but I wonder if I am missing something. I've tried both the docker image and directly running main.js.

I assume that since this first came up a couple years ago, I no longer need any special Channels server installation. The current Channels docker image should be fine for supporting this mechanism. I run the Channels docker image on an RPi 4. I've tried the chrome capture for channels docker image on a couple different Linux x86 systems (though none have fabulous hardware). I also tried the Windows executable.

The symptoms I see in the Channels web client (Chrome on Ubuntu Linux) are just things like "Transcoding started" or "Remux started", but either immediately or soon see "0 fps". No video ever appears in my web client.

I am trying with both Weatherscan and Windy as the target channels since they seem the most reliable for other people.

I should mention that when I run main.js directly, I do see the Chrome window open and display the appropriate site, resize, etc. So, the remote control does seem to work that far.

Iā€™ve been having a lot of issues with freezing/buffering with CC4C lately (running the .exe version). I have it running on the same server PC as channels dvr along with several other server type programs (plex, nextpvr, jellyfin, iSpy), docker desktop for Windows, etc. I have 16gb of ram in the PC with an i5-4440 processor and 3.1GHz plus Windows 10. I have about 35% free space left on my 500gb hard drive. Iā€™m wondering if I were to set up another computer that would be dedicated solely to CC4C if it would run better? I believe Iā€™ve read a few comments on this thread about folks having a second machine dedicated solely to CC4C and it worked much better for them. I think some have mentioned using a Mac Mini with an M1 chip? Iā€™ve seen plenty of Mac Miniā€™s on eBay and Facebook marketplace that are older with i5, i7 chips. Would those be good? Would a Raspberry Pi work well too? Just basically curious if anyone has any suggestions on a setup that would work just fine and not break the bank (maybe like potentially less than $200?). Thank you!

Personally, I'd suggest moving away from CC4C in favor of an encoder. I have multiple encoders in different locations now, and am very pleased with their performance and minimal maintenance. You could definitely get a single port encoder and a streaming stick for under $200.

My most recent encoder purchase was a LinkPi ENC1-V3, which is a very nice unit for the money. It's paired with a 2nd generation FireStick 4K Max, which works really well in my applications. Both are on sale, or have discount coupons atm.

4 Likes

Thanks for that info! Iā€™ve briefly seen a few posts about this HDMI encoder setup deal but it has me scratching my head a bit. Any chance you could provide me with instructions on how exactly you set this up and how exactly this works with channels? Am I basically just getting an encoder box like the one you provided a link for, then plugging a firestick into that box, and I now can call up all the channels in Channels DVR that I was using CC4C with? Thank you!

Sure. The idea with this approach is that you'll be doing your streaming via an app on the streaming stick, and controlling it with the Android Debug Bridge (adb). In many ways, it's not that different from CC4C, except that you're using a different project (ah4c or ADBTuner) as your virtual tuning proxy. And then, hardware-wise you're using an encoder and streaming stick instead of a PC with Chrome.

What linear TV content are you wanting to add to Channels, and what credentials would you be using? The answers will help point you toward the best of the two projects above to use. Both are Docker-based, but require very minimal resources -- so can be run on whatever you currently have available.

1 Like

So Iā€™m currently using CC4C to call up all the NBC channels (have to use the direct login to NBC as my cable provider does not have itā€™s own web login version) and then I also use CC4C to call up all the Paramount Network Channels (those I get through Philo so I use my Philo login credentials).

2 Likes

Based on that info, I think ADBTuner is going to work best for you. There should be a fair amount of info both on streaming NBC and Philo that can be gathered by searching that thread.

Once you've had a chance to look things over, it'd be best to post any questions you have in that thread.

Ok. Greatly appreciate the advice/info. Thanks!

1 Like

Hi all, I'm late to this party. I've read through this thread, but have yet to see someone recommend BetterDisplay for MacOS. It's an app that allows you to set multiple resolutions not typically available, and can even create virtual displays (including 16:9 ones). No need for dongles, etc.

2 Likes

this is a little misleading. CC4C is much more flexible as it can project anything your computer browser can...