Chrome tab as a custom channel

Would it be possible to add a URL as a virtual channel? or is there a plugin already out there like the youtube one?

Why would I do with this? Glad you asked.

• Use provider's web player as backup if TVE isn't working for whatever reason
  • Access networks not available through TVE but available on provider's web player
  • Add foreign content & music channels
  • Display non tv channels such as video conference, local webcams etc
2 Likes

This could be very interestinh. A channel/tv station that is actually a web browser pointed to a predetermined location.

Not sure if possible. But sounds nifty. Issue might come on loafing page, you may need to click a link or login manually. But pretty nifty idea.

I think you are looking for a Custom Channel:

A Virtual Channel is your previously recorded content played back as a linear live channel:

In some cases that might be an issue. Xfinity's web player for example has autostart full screen URLs. Music choice has unique URLs per genre but not full screen.

In between my original post and this reply my xfinity TVE has gone to shit again.

1 Like

Yeah custom channel. My bad, that's what I meant. I looked at the doc but it doesn't do what I was looking for.

I basically want to add a url that looks like this.
"https://www.xfinity.com/stream/live/Watch-Airdate-113/7728061817102576105/WPTVD"

Custom Channels are for live streaming video urls.

A project that would take a web page and encode it to streaming video is something this community has wanted for a while and would be a welcome project if anyone ever makes one.

I know there are screen recorders out there that record video of your screen to a file. Could you use VLC or somesuch to stream that file to Channels? Can VLC read from and stream a file at the same time the file is being written to?

Or, use a dedicated piece of hardware...

Absolutely I can frankenstein something. I can run OBS with each web address as a scene.

Then use a combination of webhooks & ifttt or a stream deck to switch scenes feeding a single catch all custom channel.

Or run multiple instances but it would gobble up resources.

I have one of those. Hardware encoder makes sense if it’s content you can’t access from a computer. Otherwise you would use OBS or VLC which costs nothing.

In case you haven't seen this:

Thought I replied to this. This is fantastic and thanks for thinking to send this to me.