Client Accessibility Requests

A search here for "accessibility" turns up very few hits. I think I found only one related to CC. I'll assume you have few folks with visual impairments providing UX input, so I'd like to provide some feedback and requests. These are concerning ATV, AFTV and Google TV clients (don't have any others).

1. On all clients, the left-hand options menu (Guide, On Later, Up Next, etc.) has very poor visibility of selected items. Contrast between the light grey and white is very difficult for me (and others with similar disabilities) to perceive. Font size is also a bit small.

• The channel filter in the guide on Apple TV is great. Inverted and zoomed text for controller selection. Bold and easily perceptible contrast for the selected item...that's a great example of accessible UI which you could/should mimic on the options menu.
  2. On all clients, the guide font is small and not configurable. Adding even a single option to increase font size would go a long way. You could probably double the size of the font without sacrificing vertical space. And maybe sacrifice an hour of horizontal "look-ahead" time (1.5 hours vs. 2.5 hours) if this option is selected.

• An option to increase the size of the channel icon would be nice (or perhaps this just coincides with the font size increase)
    • Likewise an option to just show the channel letters instead would also be nice (though lower priority from my perspective)
    • The title font for the currently selected show at the top is better on ATV than on the others, but both could definitely be made larger along with the option to change the size of the font in the guide itself
  3. The Android-based UIs (AFTV and Google TV) have the old drop-down style for filtering channels in the guide. This is inferior from an accessibility perspective as it is harder to see the current state and harder to navigate to by memory. If the new Apple TV UI is scheduled to make its way to these clients, that'll be great.

4. Hiding the text description of library items until they are selected is not ideal as it is often really difficult to discern shows based on unfamiliar (and sometimes missing) thumbnails. Especially when they are not in alphabetical order. An option to always display the titles (and initiate the long-title marquee effect only on selection) would also be helpful.

I hope this feedback is useful. Certainly implementing these would be useful to me and others with similar challenges. Thanks!

1 Like

There is a pretty interesting thread over here that discusses UI color selections.

You don't need to have any disabilities for the small size and poor contrast to make reading difficult. I have commented several times over the years that the contrast is poor and certain items are quite difficult to read.

1 Like