Client recommendation

Hi everyone. I have been using Channels for a few months now and overall I love it. I have the server running on a Mac mini and have 2 TiVo Streams on my TVs.

What I like - The tivo remote and the general android TV interface is easy and I have no issues controlling it

What I do not like - Updates seem to mess with things like the button detector and starts running apps I previously disabled. The tivo seems to get into a sluggish or not so responsive mode too often for my tastes. Could be anything from the interactions while trying to move back 15 seconds or move forward 30 seconds, to bringing up the guide or library, or even running other apps besides Channels.
Restarting it helps for a while but I get the impression that overall this is too underpowered to meet my expectations

What I want - A client that is very well performing and also has a remote that has numbers I can type on it so if I want to watch channel 4 I can just hit a "4" on the remote.

Cost is not too much of a concern. I so wanted to try apple TV but it looks like the remotes available have no numbers

Is there a better option you would recommend out there?

I think an AppleTV with a Logitech Harmony 650 or 665 remote would be a good combination for you. Yes, Logitech isn't making more of these remotes, but nothing has come out since that checks more boxes on your list. It's IR only, but it's a great remote that I've enjoyed for years and it lasts 6-9 months on a single pair of batteries. Better than the number pad, you can even customize the screen with your favorite channel logos: NEW: Improved Apple TV support for HDMI-CEC and Bluetooth remotes - #14 by Fofer

Lots of posts here have detailed ways to customize it best for Channels DVR.

Or go with the harmony hub + companion remote refurb.

Still love this remote. I have a bunch of custom buttons just for channels.. but definitely go apple tv. You wont be sorry

1 Like

Thank you both. I went ahead and got the apple tv. I will get a remote tomorrow. So far so good although it spooked me out a little in that the remote volume controls my vizio soundbar I have attached via optical cable to my LG TV. I didn't do anything to set it up ... just worked.

Yep, that's the beauty of HDMI-CEC... when it works. I'm very happy with CEC integration, it made things much simpler in my setup. I also think CEC is what Logitech and other universal remote control manufacturers found themselves competing against, and may help explain why some of them threw in the towel.