Closed Captions in Channels / EMBY not working when QuickSync Transcoding.(Windows)

Did something happen on the way Channels is treating Close Captions ? The latest recordings CC are not working in EMBY at all .... they were working before.

Blue Bloods from last night has CC but for some reason EMBY can no longer process them.
Good Girls ... and so on.

If the CCs are present in the file, but some other program can't display them, it sounds like you need to check into the other program.

Do the recorded files have Closed Caption data in them?
Do they appear when played in VLC?
TVE recordings?

Just making sure it is not Channels ... Gonna give it over to EMBY see what happens.

What is weird is that older recordings from Channels DVR play fine with CC just the ones from last night as far as I can see. I will keep investigating no big deal. It appears to be certain OTA Channels.

2.1 ABC Displays them

6.1 CBS Not being Displayed.

8.1 NBC Not being Displayed

12.1 FOX Being Displayed.

@tmm1

I noticed that when using QuicSync to transcode the Captions do not work ... using Software while transcoding they work ... I am pretty sure that CC using hardware transcoding in the past worked with QuikSync. I tested this by forcing transcoding on my FireTV with Quicksync and without. I recently had an Intel Driver update.

• ProviderIntel Corporation
  • Version27.20.100.9316

Are you using a Mac for your server? There was a long thread previously, where hardware transcoding on a Mac server with Intel chips does not re-embed the CCs. This is a known bug with the driver that is non-trivial to fix. If you are transcoding and need CCs, then you need to use software transcoding.

(Also, this is the first time you mentioned that transcoding was involved.)

I am using Windows 10 ... I was trying to troubleshoot the EMBY problem and noticed that it was transcoding the channels that had no CC... So then I decided to force transcode in ChannelsDVR and the CC's did not work using Quicksync which Emby also uses. I have enough horsepower to run with software transcoding so have switched to that.

Sounds like a similar bug with Windows then. (Or perhaps a driver update broke hardware transcoding.)

(This is why details with initial bug reports are helpful.)

1 Like

See: