Closed Captions lost on Firestick max?

Hi folks,

I just upgraded my Channels DVR server a week ago or so and noticed that closed captions no longer works on Firestick max remote clients. Took a quick photo of the options. Please advise.

That sounds like needing to use Software transcoding on a Intel PC to get CC when remote accessing. They do not work for me unless I use software transcoding on the server.

So I just blew another $500 to upgrade my Channels DVR server to use Hardware transcoding, and now I can't use it for the hearing impaired?

Plex works around this using hardware transcoding do not see why Channels DVR can't do the same.

I give up

I know what you mean each DVR out there is lacking something.

Perhaps if you indicated what the source content is ...

HDHomerun recordings/LIVETV both from the OTA and Prime remotely only work with Software transcoding ... I have reported this in the past.

TVE, OTA via HDHR

This was reported way back in 2017 ... Krypto did you try software transcoding to see your CPU usage.

Bug: No CC on Windows DVR server when transcode is hardware - Beta Community / DVR Beta - Channels Community (getchannels.com)

Is there some reason it can't be fixed in Channels DVR, so the user can take full advantage of the entire reason quicksync was developed?

The MediaFoundation API provided by Windows for transcoding video does not have any way to pass through caption data.

I'll do some more research and see if there's a way we can make it work.

1 Like

That would be pretty great. We watch a lot of TV.

I didn't get to test very thoroughly, but things appear to be working with the upcoming DVR prerelease. Hardware transcoders on both macOS and Windows will now pass through caption data.

5 Likes

Thanks. I'll definitely check it out.

Tested and looking good Captions working with Windows hardware transcoding.

2 Likes

See:

1 Like

Working great for a couple days here. Thank you.

2 Likes