Connection Lost Feature Request

Thanks for the tip. However, I have tuner sharing enabled via the clients settings for all devices. I was hoping the solution might be that easy but no dice. Additional, maybe helpful info is that I use no physical tuners -- only TVE.

I can confirm that tuner sharing does not prevent the live connection from being lost. I may well do so in theory, but that is not what I have observed.

1 Like

If it's a TVE channel you're recording and watching the recording you would never know while watching it.

When a TVE recording connection is lost, Channels DVR reconnects automatically and continues to do so until the recording time is up. After the recording is finished, Channels rewrites the timestamps in the recording to prevent playback glitches.

The only way you would know is look at the recording (shows Interrupted) or examine the logs.

I get these a lot in my TVE recordings and sometimes Channels DVR is able to splice the recording together so nothing is lost. Other times I get missing or repeated segments in the recording. If I'm really lucky the disconnect is during a commercial. It all depends on how long and how many the disconnects were.

2 Likes

I not sure that's true because I am basically watching it live -- just with the recording instead of the direct feed. I suppose that it might be able to recover so fast that the result is just a slightly smaller buffer that I wouldn't notice. Regardless, it would be nice if that behavior makes it into live tv so it can be watched uninterrupted.

This is my understanding as well. Channels is able to do a lot of cleanup on recordings, but obviously can’t if you’re watching live.

My point is that as a work around to the "connection lost" issue, I set a program to record then watch the recording as it is recording -- as close to live as possible -- usually less than a minute from live. I don't have the "connection lost" problem when I do this. So, either Channels is really quick about restoring that connection or maybe something else is going on?

It is. Most times in less than one second.

Could you confirm from the DVR log that it is in-fact also getting disconnected and reconnecting during the recording?

Diagnostics from the client when it does get disconnected would also help, and give us a better understanding of what cases would need to trigger a reconnect in the client.

1 Like

I'm assuming you were replying to @psperry since I don't experience client device connection lost.
The position of my post made it appear you were asking me.

If @tmm1 is going to start handing out homework, this is going to stop being fun. I will see what I can do :laughing:

1 Like

Still on the cards? I would love an auto restart feature when the stream drops

Press the play button and it will attempt a reconnect.

I get that but can an automated solution not be built in?

It seems so silly to have the playback interrupted and have to press the play button for it to start right back up again, why could the app not do that itself?

There’s a reason we have not done that.