Content Protection Required

Apparently, our local NBC affiliate turned on DRM for their ATSC3 broadcast, and all shows not give me an error “Content Protection Required”. Is there any work around beyond forcing Channels to use the ATSC1.0 stream until the shut it off? According to HDHomeRun, there are a small set of DVRs that support DRM on ATSC3. HDHomeRun Flex 4K + Apple TV with latest version of Channels DVR.

Any help would be appreciated.

Nope... That shutoff is going to be years away anyway. A lot of stuff evolve with atsc 3 before then...

1 Like

Write to your local affiliate and indicate that their decision to encumber their broadcasts with DRM means losing you—and your community—their viewership. It might seem insignificant, but every voice counts.

1 Like

No, there is nothing that supports DRM on ATSC3 from Silicon Dust (HDHomeRun).

A TV with an ATSC3 tuner is the only thing that might play a DRM broadcast right now.

ATSC3.0, thought was supposed to be the bomb, welcome upgrade. But, nah. It just a way for network to add DRM to their broadcast, requiring the people pay $ to buy some decoder box or software rights to enable its support.

Been few years now since my area tested a 3.0 broadcast, I think it was when the Superbowl was here, or some other major sports thing. Been silent ever since.

Looks like I just got hit with this as well. CBS 146.1 in the Atlanta area. I hope this is not permanent it is kind of upsetting that OTA broadcast would do this.

1 Like

The big media cartel is finally getting revenge for Sony Corp. of America v. Universal City Studios, Inc., aka the Betamax case.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.