Custom Channel Numbers for HDHR questions

I have searched around and found quite a few posts regarding Custom Channel numbers. I found a feature request for there to be a built in solution and many different ways, of various level of complexity, that users have got round the issue.

My primary sources for FTA TV are 2 HDHR Quattros. They were super easy to set up and Channels works perfectly with them using all 8 available tuners as and when required. I wouldn't want to loose that functionality, but would love to be able to move the main HD channels (which currently start at 101) to Channels Nos 1-9. Our previous Enigma2 satellite receiver DVR was able to do this, and nothing is easier for quick channel selection than hitting 1 for BBC1, 2 for BBC2 etc. It is the one thing that my wife isn't so happy about on the new system.

So here are my questions:

1. Is a built in custom channel numbering feature still on the road map? If so would it be possible to give some indication of likely timescale for it? I'm not going to hold anyone to it, but if it is fairly imminent I wouldn't bother trying to find an alternative solution.

2. I understand that instead of using the HDHRs directly, I can create a custom channels source using the m3u from them and then can adjust the channel-number in the m3u to my requirements. EG for the BBC1 HD entry that was channel 101 I would change it to:

#EXTINF:-1 channel-id="101" channel-number="1" tvg-name="BBC ONE SW HD",101 BBC ONE SW HD
http://192.168.1.XX:5004/auto/v101

2a) Is it really as simple as that?

2b) If I did that with the same modified channel list for both HDHRs would the system still know to use tuners from either HDHR as and when required?

2c) Will the EPG still work as before?

2d) Will any existing series passes for the changed channel numbers still work OK?

I would just try it all to find out, but now the system is live I don't want to screw anything up.

Thanks

Here's my solution for custom channels. May not work for your needs, but I remapped all my channels, including my Broadcast Channels of 8.1, 21.1, 27.1 , 33.1 and 43.1 to channels 1-5.

1 Like