Different TV shows being grouped together

I recently started playing with the local content feature of Channels DVR with the ultimate goal of creating a virtual channel for my different tv shows that I have on my media server. I was able to successfully add the local content, but it seems to be grouping different shows that are in completely separate directories as the same show. The other common denominator is that Channels DVR is not automatically detecting what show it is based on the naming conventions of the directories/file names.

As a test I am just testing with two shows - Rick Steves' Europe and the original Quantum Leap. I first add the directory with Rick Steves. When it doesn't detect what show it is I use the Fix Incorrect Match option and manually select the correct show. This brings in all of the metadata and everything looks good. However, when I add in Quantum Leap, instead of adding in as its own show, even as "generic" with no metadata, it instead adds into Rick Steves:

As you can see from the screenshot it is grouping these two different shows together as one show. I have also highlighted the paths and file names showing that they are in two completely different directories (although show a common directory higher up in the path). I am using the Plex naming convention for the actual file names (this server is also a Plex server). I read the docs on file naming conventions:

and although I am not specifically using the Channels DVR naming conventions, it is very similar. Again, I have to stick to these other naming conventions because it is what Plex wants. The docs do say "Some alternate episode filenames are supported", which I imagine includes Plex naming conventions, but it doesn't seem to be working for me. At the very least I would expect that two shows under two completely different directories would be seen as separate shows.

How can I fix this problem and make sure the Channels DVR is distinguishing different shows in different directories as separate shows?

FYI I am not pointing to the top level /shares/plexmedia/TV Shows/ directory due to another problem I am having regarding extra content being picked up that shouldn't be picked. I have a separate thread on that issue that is currently being looked at.

You need to use these for your local content import directories to make it work.
/shares/plexmedia/TV Shows/Documentaries
/shares/plexmedia/TV Shows/TV Shows
Otherwise Channels DVR doesn't see the Show Name folders

1 Like

@chDVRuser hum ok thanks for the info. I was trying to work around the issue I talk about in this thread:

But it looks like I will need to try something else. I have another idea. Thanks again.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.