Disable “watch from library” for virtual channels

Is there a way to turn ”watch from library” off just for virtual channels? Actually— seems like something that should be off by default since there is only one choice…

EDIT: setting “watch from library prompt” in settings -> live channels doesn’t prevent the prompt in virtual channels which sorta makes sense and I’d rather leave it on for actual live tv. Just thought I’d test to see if that setting also affected virtual channels.

There is a Server Side Setting for this. In the web UI navigate to: Clients > Playback > Virtual Channels > Tuning In and set it to Live.

2 Likes

Thanks! Initially didn’t see it there but it showed up after updating to latest pre-release so must be a recent addition. However, it doesn’t seem to do anything or at least doesn’t work the way I expected. If I select a virtual channel then move forward in the timeline then select any show, it still always prompts.

Client is tvOS latest beta & tried force closing the app and re-opening.

The button in your photo appears for future virtual channel airings. There is no setting for it.

I don't follow on what issue you're having with the button.

1 Like

Yes, future airing in virtual channel. But given that it’s a virtual channel there’s no other choice than to watch from library right? So it seems pointless to pop open a window.

(I don’t mean to sound like a jerk and this is totally a minor thing. It sounds like there isn’t a way to do what I’m asking and that’s :100: fine. :grinning:)

Separately, I think I am confused about what that server side sitting is supposed to do because I’m not seeing a change in behavior.

I’m just playing around with virtual channels and noticed this. My use case: “current” episode in a virtual channel is one I don’t want to watch for whatever reason and want to skip to the next episode.

Btw, thanks for Virtual Channels. Have to admit I didn’t initially understand how useful it would be.

1 Like

Okay I understand now, you want it to go straight to the player.

The modal is there because it has more details, (and showing the modal is the default behavior on the rest of the guide).

This feedback is useful. We plan to maybe provide more options than Watch From Library.

That button currently just plays a single episode and affects your Up Next, which is not the behavior you would expect for picking something from the guide. Ideally it would be a Watch button which plays the same virtual channel but from a point in the future.

1 Like

There are some improvements in the next TestFlight beta.

The Watch from Library button has been replaced with a Watch button, which now does what you would expect in maintaining the live tv experience.

You can also use the Play/Pause button on your remote to skip the info dialog and launch straight into the player.

2 Likes

This has been ported over to android

1 Like