Discovery channels stream limit

Hi, Dan. Welcome to the community!

This is the usual routine.

I just assumed initially I didn't get those channels. Then I was looking at the Edit section and noticed they were listed "403 failed too many streams", so I Googled that and found this thread. Once I realized what was happening based on jay343's comment I just went back every hour or so and rescanned 2 channels at a time until they were all added to the Channels guide.

The only recommendation I'd have for the Channels team would be to add an option to the menu to just force the channel into the guide even if the scan fails. That way I wouldn't have had to keep going back and scanning two at a time channels I know would have worked without this limitation.

I found this on the Spectrum website FAQ....

Is there a limit to the number of simultaneous streams I can watch on my devices?

You can have unlimited TV channel app streams if you are accessing your programming from your home WiFi.

You may be limited to two concurrent streams per account while outside your home. If you try to exceed this, you may experience an error code.

So maybe the Discovery channels think I'm outside my home network for some reason?

That's a horrible idea. If Channels cannot verify that you can receive the channel, it would be utterly confusing to users to list a channel in their guide that they couldn't tune. Waiting until the channel has been successfully scanned before being added to the guide is the best decision.

That could happen now with this limit. If I tune two of these channels in quick succession I can not tune any of the others for an hour. So it's already confusing.

I'm talking about putting this deep in the edit menu like here...

To get to that you have to click the menu next to the source, click Manage Line Up, click Edit, and then open that little menu next to the channel. That's pretty deep to be accidentally clicked. And they could always add a little popup warning like "You still may not be able to record/watch this channel if authorization fails"

I'm sure most of us using this product are at least a little tech savvy and wouldn't start messing with menus like that unless we really needed to.

What I'm sure the veteran users of Channels DVR meant to say was that we welcome you to the community! Then a caring human might say, yeah, that's confusing for a new user, but if you stick with it, it'll all be okay!

It's fine. I'm not really a "new user". I'm not even planning to use the Channels DVR for anything more than testing. I'm a developer for VideoReDo, and moderator of the TiVo Community Forum, and someone recommended that I check out the Channels DVR so I threw one together.

It's very interesting. I have a few minor critiques of the UI, but the TV Everywhere thing is very cool. After having dealt with many, many, CableCARD installs over the years this is way better. With the exception of the weird issue I'm having with the Discovery owned channels.

That's awesome! Glad to have you here! Hope that you find the current development impressive as I do, and that you aren't afraid to pose many new ideas on how to improve it, regardless of what the few toxic users want to tell you.

I agree we could make this scanning experience a bit better, but all these issues are specific only to Spectrum, so we haven't put a lot of effort in thus far.

1 Like

I kept pushing Spectrum support to escalate the issue. I finally got through to an engineer who was able to replicate the problem. They did not commit to fixing it, though. Maybe if more people complain... :wink:

2 Likes

Understandable. That's why I suggested adding an option to the menu to force a channel to add even if it fails the test.

The idea I had was slightly different... any channels that got this specific error would be automatically retried, one pers hour or something like that. So even if they fail during the initial scan they would gradually appear over time.

That kind of mechanism could be beneficial for other failure modes too, to try again every so often automatically.

2 Likes

I had all the same issues with the discovery channels and Spectrum so I had to get Philo for Discovery and the problems went away I can surf up and down. All other channels are fine with Spectrum.

I just wanted to say thank you for your honesty.

For Spectrum users only does this effect.
I have experimented with this and If you are recording 2 channels from discovery networks from any of the 12 networks and try to watch or record a third the streaming limit will happen. This limit is on spectrum system and not Channels or Discovery. This also causes having to rescan all 12 networks to get the streams to work again. Sometimes this takes several hours. So again limit to 2 streams at a time. Discovery Channels are from (6101 thru 6114). Channel Surfing is not possible due to Spectrum system does not timeout from the stream for at least 15 minutes.

2 Likes