DNS Question

Using public DNS resolver from "Google LLC" can cause problems with TV Everywhere. I am not using a public dns.. how do I fix this?

Are you seeing that when you open the Support > Troubleshooting page from your Channels DVR server web admin UI?

Here's a recent answer from one of the developers

Read this one for more info on why they put that Warning in there (it's not an error).

That is the error I am getting when testing... I am not using google as of now. I would like to though.

It's not an error.

Your Channels Server must uses your ISP DNS to get the correct CDN assigned. The rest of your network can use any DNS.

Not always true. I use Quad9 as upstream DNS through my Ad Guard Home personal DNS server. (its like Pi-Hole)

1 Like

I'm glad it's working for you. Have you compared the CDNs you get using Quad9 vs your ISP? I've had it work as well for other DNS providers yet I was not getting the closest CDNs though the ones I got were fast enough. Using the ISP DNS avoids problems

Not sure how even to check what CDNs is in use. Have no issues with TVE, or geolocation.
The one thread quoted, did notice that Channels detects the DNS server that they receivers requests from when i trigger diags/troubleshooting lists a certain ISP that is local to me, but not mine. Did not change when i set passthrough of the server to use ISP DNS. So it some routeing thing in the data centers beyond me.

Do an nslookup youtube.com using Quad9 and also your ISP. If you get a different IP each way you are getting different CDN for youtube.

1 Like

Not true.

If you try to resolve tve-live-aka.warnermediacdn.com with different DNS servers, you may find that it returns different IPs for you. This is an example of a CDN that uses geoip lookups. If you traceroute to the different IPs that are returned you may be able to see different routes to different POPs.

None of these things are universal (which is what makes debugging these sorts of things so difficult). Most people most of the time have no problems, but the majority of the time when people do complain about excessive timeouts from TVE streams, it ends up being resolved by using the ISPs DNS.

If your ISP is great and is well-connected to high quality transit providers and never has any over-saturated links, it likely won't matter what DNS server you use. But if your ISP does end up having over-saturated links, this could make the difference for you.

In years past (before I knew better) when I had set my DNS to be a combination of 8.8.8.8 and 1.1.1.1 I ran into very weird graphs in my smokeping where the latency to certain sites like facebook.com would randomly fluctuate between 8ms and 40ms for hours from time to time. The worst instance I found was github.com where it would sometimes send me to the west coast datacenter and other times to the east coast datacenter (a 60-80ms difference). I eventually tracked it down to this split DNS situation causing the problems.

1 Like

DNSBench is a good tool to see what kinda of performance you get from DNS providers.

DNS response time is different. Your ISP may not have the fastest DNS yet it will return the IP of the best CDN to use. Fast DNS response helps with the first DNS lookup of a domain name. After that your host will cache the look up for a while improving your experience.