Docker Hub Updates?

The latest version of the DVR Server in Docker Hub is a 2022.02.09.0020 release from the TVE branch. The others are far older. fancybits/channels-dvr Tags | Docker Hub

If I manually check for updates in the stable channel using the web GUI, it currently downloads a 2022.08.08 version. So I'm pretty certain there are newer versions. Though obviously Docker being Docker, I can't update unless the hub version is updated.

Wuzzup??

The docker version is separate from the DVR version. The DVR keeps itself up-to-date, so you don't have to update the docker yourself.

I believe the headless web browser is in the container, however. I had issues with an outdated chrome browser even after updating the DVR. YoutubeTV would report that the browser was not secure. I eventually abandoned the docker implementation and started using the Synology application.

The Docker Version updates with no Problems I have it running on my Synology as a Docker and it updates seamlessly.... been running for several years now on Docker... That includes HDHomeRun units , TVE and Pluto.

I run a periodic check for a prerelease, and it updates itself when the DVR is idle.

curl -XPUT http://10.0.0.214:8089/updater/check/prerelease
1 Like

So it's just a UI glitch? When I refresh after downloading, I still see:

Version
Up to date!

Hmm. Okay. I kinda get it. The docker image is just bootstrapping a load of the executable in the channels-dvr folder.

So, I think I may see a problem. I'm hosting that folder on a SMB share. I think maybe the "latest" folder is supposed to be a symbolic link to the latest actual version folder. Instead, I'm seeing a copy of the 2022.02.09 folder, instead. SMB shares don't support symbolic links.

UPDATE: Moved to a local folder instead. Created the symbolic link. I THINK it is fixed. Seeing the latest version loaded in the UI. Probably an edge case, but you should be able to code around it easily if you want to fix it.

Nice sleuthing!
And I thought I was an edge case (well, I know I am!).

The data folder should be local disk not on any kind of share. It expects fast local access, and only stores OS-specific data there.

Your DVR folders can be shares, and will have backups of important data copied there automatically.

But not recommended to use a network share because of cache directory, correct?

Appears the cache and all database files are stored in the channels-dvr folder. The DVR folder appears to contain database backups and, of course, the MPEG recordings. Logical design. Shouldn't be a problem storing the DVR folder on a share unless I'm missing something.

Network filesystems add latency and extra points of failure. A local disk will always lead to a better experience. But you're free to do as you please.