Downsides to "Start live [commercial] detection when watching in-progress recording"?

I happened across this setting when I went to DVR settings to manually refresh the guide data.*

Is this new? I don't think I ever noticed it before, but it's something I have always wanted. I often like to start a sporting event (mostly NFL games) about 1/3rd of the way through their scheduled time and play "catch up" by skipping the commercials. So this setting seems perfect for my use case.

But it's off by default so I'm writing here to ask if there's any downside to it.

I'm running the DVR server on a Sinology DS220+, if that matters.

*I had to refresh the guide data because the Bills-Steelers game was still showing up on the guide today, but it was moved to Monday due to weather, and the commercial detection setting just happen to be directly above the guide download options.

The only downside is that it is not as accurate when ran after recording ends.

There's what you might call "drift" once it gets going, and it gets really bad. You can read a about it here:

I had to turn this feature off because of this after trying for a while.

It’s frustrating that this still hasn’t been fixed. It’s not an issue with Comskip. It correctly detects the commercial positions. It’s an issue with playback of the in-process recording and Channels somehow not reading/calculating the current (or target) playback position. Please go vote for the linked post to hopefully get this fixed.