DRM Protected ATSC 3.0 Channels

In my Case they DRM'd 112.1 Fox and my signal on ATSC 1.0 on 12.1 is weak... So I use my primes to record 712.

If Silicon Dust would provide third party access to their soon to be certified system player, so something like Channels does with Stream Links could be done, then Channels doesn't have to mess with DRM at all. You would still lose ability for remote access and unencumbered recordings for those channels, but it might be enough for now.

1 Like

You sound like a linear TV addict who does not value time shifting or commercial skipping.

4 Likes

I am retired and it is 110 degrees outside, so yes I watch some news and occasionally some sporting events live. I do think HDHomerun will still be able to record shows for time shifting, but the recordings will be locked to the device that recorded them. Hopefully skipping forward through commercials will be enabled, just not automatically. So we will not be able to share our recordings with family, friends, and neighbors and the recordings will only be available for the life of the HDHomerun device that recorded them. If I don't like what I can get from ATSC3.0, then I will do something else. I subscribe to Hulu no/ads, Disney, Philo, Netflix, and Prime Video so I have plenty to keep me entertained.

2 Likes

Once Tablo finally releases their ATSC 3.0 DVR that can handle encryption, I'll be switching to that for OTA instead of Channels. Of course, ATSC 1.0 will still be around for many years now due to FCC's latest news, so who knows what else will be available by then for dvr possibilities.

1 Like

I used the earlier Tablo for 3 years. It was the easiest and least expensive way to have DVR for OTA. It also worked with Roku devices. But it was very slow with channels changes, always transcoded. It was just adequate. After I tried HDHomerun tuner with Channels DVR, I will never go back to Tablo unless there is no choice. The Tablo being developed with ATSC3 support may be better, but I am skeptical.

1 Like

A little more coverage...

NextGen TV's DRM puts future of the over-the-air DVR in doubt | TechHive

1 Like

I snipped this part ....

• With an HDHomeRun tuner, third-party apps must get independently certified to play encrypted ATSC 3.0 content. It’s unclear if programs such as Channels and Plex will do so.
1 Like

It is quite clear. There is no path for them to accomplish this.

I thought I read fairly recently that only hardware would be able to get certified, software was unlikely.

Perhaps I need to up my caffeine intake.

Play or record? Big difference when it comes to DRM.

1 Like

Why do you make up nonsense? There is a path, it's a completely different situation than the Cable Labs situation.

2 Likes

Not true, Nick Kelsey has stated that third party apps should be able to utilize the solution they're working on if they're so willing to do so and it won't be exorbitantly expensive.

Time will tell if that's accurate or not, but that's what he has stated.

What is the path? Did Fancy Bits announce anything?

1 Like

Here is a Post from Silicondust Employee ..

"Once DRM support is implemented (completely separate from this certification process), the HDHomeRun DVR will be able to record DRM channels (unless something is flagged as not being able to be recorded, which isn't supposed to happen), and the HDHomeRun app will be able to play back those recordings, assuming all the requirements are met. The file itself will not be useful to anything except the HDHomeRun DVR and app due to the contents being encrypted."

1 Like

This should cool down the hot heads here.

I'm sorry you have difficulty comprehending things. That quote is about the specific HDHR implementation and has nothing to do with a Channels implementation so not sure why Edwin posted this. Do you currently record programs in HDHR and then play them back in Channels? No, you have Channels handle the recording.

If Channels implemented the same software solution as the HDHR (which Nick Kelsay says will be possible) then it would have the same limitation. Programs recorded in the Channels app would not be playable in other apps.

Nick Kelsey has stated the following in the forum you are on so you should know this instead of spreading nonsense:

So according to that Channels should be able to implement this if they so choose. Yes, viewing outside the home won't be possible for this type of content, but they should be able to offer viewing and recording of content within the home. And if they choose not to pursue this, then they'll probably hemorrhage customers. Personally, I can't see myself continuing to pay if I can't do the actual fundamental thing I purchased the product in order to do.

1 Like

FYI I posted this because it deals with DRM as this is what this topic deals with.... It is also Pointing out that it appears that Channels DVR would have to get its own Certification and not Piggyback on Silicondust.

1 Like

Nobody said otherwise.