DVR pricing

I mean, why even ask? I could mention how Apple charges $1K for a device that cost them $200 to make. Or how Netflix used to be $5 or something very low cost, now is like $20 for the same thing....

If you want more arguments over cost, spend a week reading the many other threads on here about "Lifetime license".

Comparing apples to oranges. Small business with just a couple "employees" is not the same as a big company with several large teams and plenty of investors etc.

I use Channels and Plex, and Emby....they each have their features that are better for certain things.

1 Like

I came to ChannelsDVR from using TiVos. From the first time I tried it out, Channels has been the best whole-home DVR I’ve used. New features come out often, and the support is usually incredible, and way better than the support from TiVo or Plex. I have tried out the Plex DVR multiple times (and I do have a lifetime Plex pass) but as a DVR it falls far short of what ChannelsDVR provides, so I continue to pay the annual Channels subscription fee.

4 Likes

Having enjoyed the overall Channels DVR experience for a couple of years now, and how it's streamlined our overall media consumption workflow, I'll confess that I'm surprised it's only $80/year. Shhh, don't tell the developers but if they were to decide to charge double that, I'd still happily pay, without blinking an eye. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I like Channels but not for double the price.

Why does anything cost what it does? If you like Channels and the price seems reasonable, you buy it and Channels continues on, hopefully. If people don’t find it to be a good value, Channels goes away and we all find something else to do. I don’t see any benefit in questioning the price. But while we’re at it, it really pisses me off that I can’t afford a Ferrari. I think those Italians are just greedy.

1 Like

So I will lead with I am a Channels DVR (CDVR) fanboy. I think inquiring about what you get for your payment is a valid question.

What $8/mo ($80/yr) gets you is software. Thats it. Your paying $80/yr for software. Nothing more. It is very niche software that requires a substantial (compared to betflix) financial investment.

The is the last great linear tv App.

*Local DVR
*Comskip
***Can comskip in progress recordings
*Local content management (imports)
*Virtual channels (the single coolest feature)
*EPG service
*TVE service
*Ability to combine multiple tv sources into 1 tv guide (OTA, hdhr TVE, pluto, ss, stirr, plex, espn+)
*Active updates

This software requires constant updates to keep TVE working. Just keeping up with this is a large task.

The more niche a product is. The smaller the potential user base is. The smaller the userbase the more $ you need from each user. Cdvr does not have the economics of scale like some of the competitors.

I personally think its time to raise the price. Its been $8 for a long time. Inflation is getting bad. I want CDVR to be profitable enough that the 3 devs can afford a mildly luxurous life style with vacations every year.

I fear linear TV and TVE tech had a limated shelf life. I went the 3 devs to make bank while they can. I am a proud supprter of cdvr.

Sounds like a good list of things to consider while you deliberate whether Channels is worth the price or not.

Considering I was paying Comcast cable tv bill for so many years...since 1991 that started out at $20 a month, to 2019 was then $150 per month...and they kept raising the price slowly every year. Got notice that Jan 2020 was going up to $170, for some shitty slow cablebox for 1 tv, no dvr ability etc....the worst customer service in the world.

$150 x 12month = $1,800 per year just for cable tv

Compared to $80 a year for CDVR...yea.

Ok, ill add in the $25 a month for Philo, my main source or TVE, that is $300 per year.
So $380 per year, saving of approx $1,420 per year.

Money well spent to get much more use out of something than CATV provided. I was using Windows Media Center for many years, with a Cable Card tuner, then Emby, when WMC was killed off.

Start up cost was not bad either, for me was 2x Pi4b's (which i had already from past project) purchased long before the pandemic issues, when the whole 8gb canakit bundles were $80 at Best Buy). HDHR OTA tuner, $150? and a usb 3.0 ssd 500gb, $50, Good antenna $100.

3 Likes

$80/yr - $6.67/mo
Before I got Channels I had cable co "small" boxes on secondary TV's, $6/mo EACH.
And they did not have Pause/Rew/etc, did not have access to DVR recordings.
And the main TV DVR box could only record two at a time, Channels is basically unlimited.
I now have Channels on 5 TV's and my projector. 6x$6 = $36/mo for mini boxes vs Channels $6.67/mo total.
It's a no brainer, an outstanding value for $6.67/mo.
And the cherry on top is the exporting of an m3u to Tivimate for Multi-view when watching Sports.
And Custom Channels !! ComSkip, Fantastic developer support, and more.
Incredible.

4 Likes

I'm deciding between services where I can add my Antenna to live streaming services. Channels is by far the most flexible at adding content, but not great for channel surfing. The OP is right $8 is a lot and I'm not sure it's worth it over others.

What client device are you referring to? Because at least with AppleTV, Channels is pretty excellent for channel surfing.

Multiple devices including the Apple TV. Can't view recent channels. Opening live guide while viewing content is a work around, not a feature. Last channel return is buggy.

Hmm, seems we have different definitions of Channel Surfing. I've always thought of that as simply surfing up or down in live TV while browsing for something to watch.

For me, that's just a swipe down for the Quick Guide.

It uses the OS' built-in PIP implementation, I know folks have complained about this, but it works fine for me.

How so? Double-clicking the play button has never failed me.

Where can you add recent channels in the quick guide? I did a custom line up. That's not the same. I don't use the Apple remote so turning off pip is a pain. Ironically I want the pip automatic for my Android phone, that's not an option.

Since I channel surf in my custom channel collections, those are the recent channels, so it is the same.

I'm able to turn off PIP with my Logitech Harmony Companion and my 650 remotes just as easily as I can with my Apple remote so apologies but I can't relate to this complaint.

For this Channels DVR with its unified TV guide does this better then snyone else. There have been a few other attempts
Plex has OTA, Plex channels and can link to your streaming services (opens externally). There are others too. But Plex is main competitor

100% Agree. How i like to channel surf. Open a TV show. Then go to TV GUIDE and scroll TV guide while TV show plays in background. PiP is not a substitute for this feature. It makes TV surfing less enjoyable.

$8 being a lot depends on the customer. If your looking for a free/no cost tv. Yes it is a lot. If your looking at replacing your cable theres also upfront hardware cost. Plus the maintenance/tinkering. Channels DVR is for the enthusiast/hobbyists. For the person who just wants to plug in a box, it just work and watch tv. This is the wring product.

Channels can still be cheaper then cable as many have pointed out. $8 (channels) + $25-$70 (TVE).Gives you a monthly bill aprox $30-$80/month.

Where ChannelsDVR brings value to me is control. I want to control my media/content. I want it local.

Channels is a niche piece of software. So the devs dont have the economy of scale or massive budgets or corperate backers.

For what it's worth, that's not how Channels defines "channel surfing," at least with the feature that's configured in Settings > General > Live TV. And while I'm sure there is room for improvement in this -- and other aspects of the live TV experience -- I contend that Channels is better at most of it, specifically, than any other smart TV, DVR, cable or satellite box out there. Its interface is certainly much more customizable.

I have the harmony companion, which doesn't seem to work, besides it has it's own issues. Mostly I use the LG remote which doesn't work. Recent channels is still a basic function that is needed

1 Like

Understood, and all things considered it's my least favorite remote to use too, but at least with regards to Channels PIP, these tips might help you navigate it: