DVR Recording Issues with HGTV Shows

I've been having problems with some of my Channels DVR recordings of HGTV shows for the past month or so. I thought it was a fluke, but because it keeps happening, I wanted to report the problem to see if it is a setting in my Channels DVR setup or a problem with the Channels DVR app when processing HGTV video from TVE.

Here is the log number that was generated and submitted to support by my system: 3ea3c89f-6c73-4e25-98fa-619cee3c8149. I've also attached some screen shots taken of a recording from the Channels client (Fire TV 3rd get Cube), a copy from the log that shows when the recording started and ended, and my Channels DVR settings on my NAS.

The problem I've been having with HGTV recordings is they appear to record okay, but when you look at the recording in the recording list, the run time is less than the actual length of the show. When you play the recordings, the 'commercial detection' indication is screwed up, and sometimes the playback will continue playing beyond the displayed length, until a 'Skip Commercial' notification appears. If you allow it to skip, it continues into the show that was on after the one I recorded.

Once the playback goes into the next show, you miss the last part of the show I was recording so you don’t get to see the whole show. The only way I can watch the end of a show is to go out to the HGTV app, go to the show, then find the episode I was watching.

So far, this problem only appears to be happening when I record an HGTV show. If there is a setting I need to change, or it is something I'm doing wrong, let me know. If you need more information, just ask.

Thanks in advance for any help

There has been an issue with discovery network (HGTV included) shows.

Check out this solution if you haven’t already tried it..

Also see this to fix your recordings with the length issue:

I've been recording a ton of episodes of "House Hunters" on HGTV lately. My wife has been watching them and she hasn't complained to me about anything. She is not shy and will complain about the littlest thing so I can confidently say that it's been working fine with my DVR.

One thing probably in my favor is that I've had the experimental MPEG-TS rewriter enabled ever since they announced it months ago. I guess that must make a positive difference.

I submitted a log to support and provided them with the same information that was included in this thread. They asked me to upgrade to the latest latest DVR pre-release 2023.08.05.1951 to see if it helps. Last night, I recorded 'Vacation House Rules', one of the HGTV shows that has screwed up since the problem started, and it recorded the whole episode. The commercial detection wasn't perfect, but very few recordings are.

I'll turn on that experimental MPEG-TS rewriter to see if that helps moving forward.

Note, with the new release version of the server, the new rewriter is default.
The experimental option would enable the OLD rewriter.

1 Like