DVR recording issues

I have been having issues with my DVR randomly not recording my series. I have my server on Windows PC. The only thing I can think of is maybe my computer takes an update and reboots and since the PC is not all the way loaded up after the reboot, the server is not going to work. I don't know anything else that would be causing this. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

When was the last time it happened?

Could you take a look in the DVR log at that time to see if there is any clue in there?

Also, what is the series and how is your pass set up?

1 Like

It happened on last Wednesday and Thursday. It was Bold and the Beautiful. The pass is setup for new recordings only. The recordings it missed would have been new episodes. I do not know how to look at DVR logs. If I had to guess it happens about once or twice a month.

The new flag is not always that dependable. I wonder if it was not marked with new flag. I stopped using it.

1 Like

Most likely what Edwin_Perez said.

Is your PC normally unattended when it does the monthly updates (last one was last Tuesday)?
Does Channels DVR start back up when it reboots after an updates?

You really would have to look at the DVR log. In the DVR web admin UI choose Support > Logs.
You can view more of the log.

By default the Channels DVR Server log only shows the last 1500 lines. To see more of the log, change the url from
http://x.x.x.x:8089/admin/log
to
http://x.x.x.x:8089/log?n=10000
where x.x.x.x is the IP address of your Channels DVR Server and n=10000 is the number of lines to display

If it did schedule the program, but missed recording it (if Channels DVR wasn't running at the time) you should see something like this in your DVR Schedule

You can also look at the pass through the web interface and see what episodes are scehduled to be recorded. If you dont see the episodes you think you should, change it to all instead of just new.

1 Like

Looks like I can see the logs for last Wednesday and Thursday, but not really sure what I’m looking for. It skips Wednesday all together for some reason. On Thursday I see something that says —marking expired job (bunch of numbers).The Bold and the Beautiful. How would I make channels start up automatically upon a reboot? If that might be the issue.

Thanks

The log will show when Channels DVR shuts down and starts up.

2024/06/12 18:08:52.519942 [SYS] Shutting down for upgrade from v2024.06.06.1722 to v2024.06.12.2307
2024/06/12 18:08:52.585118 [DVR] Recording engine stopped.
2024/06/12 18:08:53.787722 [SYS] Starting Channels DVR v2024.06.12.2307 (linux-x86_64 pid:7) in /channels-dvr/data

That's a sign that for whatever reason, Channels DVR missed recording the scheduled episode.

As far as making Channels DVR start automatically on power up, I'm not sure as I don't run mine on Windows.

We do not use this computer daily. It is missing logs from Tuesday night after 11pm till Thursday at 810pm. Which makes sense why I’m missing Wednesday and Thursday recordings and the first log on Thursday at 810 pm says starting Channels dvr. I am guessing that is when I made sure computer was fully rebooted up.

Yiu have to run it as a Windows Service if you do not have autologin. Also make sure in the Bios your PC is set to powerup in the event of power failure.

I guess I don’t have auto login turned on. How do I set it up as window services? I am sorry. I am ok with computers, but don’t know a ton. Thanks

You have to rerun the channelsdvr setup you downloaded when you first installed, and it will give you the option to run as a service.

Ok thank you all so much. I am going to try to setup the auto login first and see if that helps.

1 Like

I have a link to Autologin...
Windows Channels DVR TIPs/Tools - Hosting / General - Channels Community (getchannels.com)

1 Like