DVR Server HDD config question

bad ass thank you! thatll be a great resource to have. i'm pulling 100% or high 90's for everything so far so good so far! thanks again for everyones help!

1 Like

If you're getting 100% for signal strength beware. 100% is merely a number used to show its strength, but it does not show if it is stronger than 100%. This is significant, because HDHR tuners can be quite sensitive to overly strong signals.

i did read something about that. before this i was using a hauppage usb tuner and used their signal meter and i showed very close to 100 w/ that but not quite so hoping i'm ok. If i AM getting a too strong of a signal i thought i saw a recommendation of something I could add to help? (cant remember the name )

the only device i have right now is a channel master distribution amp which helped quite a bit w/ my signal when i first got this setup a year ago

I've got broadcast towers only a couple miles from my house and it is not an issue. If I put an amplifier on the signal though, it would be too loud... I wouldn't be able to tune any channels... which is why I don't use amplifiers. But they can be good if you are farther away. The metric to look at is symbol quality. This should be 100% for a perfect picture. Signal Strength and Signal Quality can help to achieve perfect symbol quality, but having these other metrics maxed is not always necessary. Sometimes, especially if there is some kind of interference in the dead-on direction toward the towers, you can turn the antenna slightly (which will lower the signal quality). If you can keep it consistently around 80% though and the signal is still strong, you will still be able to get perfect symbol quality (perfect picture) in all weather... + you may have eliminated the interference.

thank you again for all of the help! really great info!
so ABC is our biggest problem child on our tablo engine setup..... my HDHR is about 65ft shorter on the run and seeing this and so far no issues on channels so we're happy! for reference ,we're about 50 miles from the towers

amazing! I wouldn't have thought that kind of signal was possible at 50 miles. You must have a pretty impressive antenna.

Ya it took a lot of messing around but we have a large external garage w/ an attic and i found that the previous owner (who built it) ran coax from the basement of the house, underground outside in pvc and up to the attic of that garage. so i was able to mount my clearstream max 4 up there and messed w/ the angle until i got it right. i've always had a really good signal but my tablo engine always has had little glitches and i couldnt figure it out. would have just gotten a tablo network tuner again but they take 10 sec to change channels so so far this HDHR/channels setup i'm pretty impressed with! this is my worst signal i get for a channel so far

Nice... the HDHR should have no tuning issues with those signals.... and Channels provides the best interface to use it with.

i believe it so far! i originally was going to go w/ one of their new scribe duo/quatro devices since it had the simplicity to be an all in one box but more i read about their DVR software the more it seemed not quite up to par w/ others (especially compared to Tablo which i'd say still is a tad more polished feeling compared to Channels ) but feature for feature channels looks to be much better even the first night in.