DVR Setup to NAS Folder (SHIELD)

Just installed Channels DVR on my Nvidia Shield TV. Trying to set the recording directory to a folder on My WD MyCloud NAS. I’ve done this with both HDHR DVR & With Plex.

In the setup I’m not getting any storage option other than NVidia shield directories. Am I missing something?
If I can’t record to my NAS then I can’t use thus software. Trying to get one program that will work OTA & HDHomerun Premium Tv with correct guide & playback through out the house.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thank’s.

1 Like

@Sheridan3957 What path did you configure HDHR DVR with when it was running on the SHIELD?

My impression was that NAS write access on the SHIELD was only available to Plex, but if it works with HDHR DVR then maybe the situation has changed since the Oreo release.

I Just mapped the TVRecordings Folder on my NAS to “Z”. I’m in the Channels DVR setup: when I try to select a path to the network folder “Z”, the only options I get are folders on the NVidia Shield drive. Need to have the option to browse for the network folder.

Plex & HDHR are able to write to the NAS from the NVidia Shield TV box.

What do I need to do the be able to browse the network when setting the recording directory?
Thank’s.

Can you post (or email [email protected]) a screenshot of what you see. Does the Z option appear at all?

I’m wondering what the actual directory path is for the share… is it /Z or something else? I’ll try to mount a share on my SHIELD here to see how it works…

I was able to mount my QNAP onto the SHIELD. Looks like the directory is named /storage/SERVERNAME. However, when I try to write to that directory I get permission errors. According to what NVidia has told me, only Plex has special permissions to be able to write to network mounts on the SHIELD since it comes bundled with the OS. Other apps can only read from network mounts.

Are you sure HDHR DVR running on the SHIELD was able to write to your NAS?

Just checked: I have multiple files that HDHR DVR recorded onto my WD MYCLOUD NAS.

1 Like

Did you maybe install the HDHR DVR software on your MyCloud?

I asked SiliconDust and they said their DVR is not able to record to network shares when running on the SHIELD.

Your right. Just checked & to be able to record to the NAS I had to use the “NAS Install”.
So I guess my next question is how do I get Channels DVR setup to record to my NAS?

What type of MyCloud is it and what firmware version is installed?

There is a way to install Channels DVR on some MyCloud devices, but to be honest those NAS are very underpowered and our DVR does not work well with them.

HDHR DVR stores all the guide data in the cloud, and doesn’t offer features like comskip or remote/web transcoded playback. It requires much fewer resources, so it runs pretty well on the MyCloud. If running on that NAS is important to you, then you should stick with HDHR DVR.

Since you have a SHIELD, you could also try to maybe move your NAS and plug it into the SHIELD via USB. Depends on the model you have if that will work.

Thank’s for your help. This isn’t going to work for me then.
How do I unsubscribe so I won’t be billed?
Dave

Click the cancel button on https://community.getchannels.com/dvr