Edit season pass episode to add time not working

earlier this week, i added extra time to my season pass for big brother to get around the extra time i knew would be added from the RNC going long...both nights (wednesday and thursday) had the extra time added in the DVR screen.

tonight, i found that tonight's episode only recorded the regular time...and now tomorrow's was reset to regular time as well.

not sure what happened, but something is definitely wrong. would there be anything in the logs for this?

I, too, ran into this last evening. Knowing Big Brother was going to run long, I added an extra 30 mins to Tough as Nails (right after Big Brother). Unfortunately, I didn't realize that the extended padding wasn't honored because I watched it in progress; by the time I realized that it wasn't recording the extra padding, it was already too late.

(I know that changing padding for a single episode in a pass is iffy in Channels, but I thought those issues had been ironed out. Is it safe to assume that the server overwrote the episode padding with the different series padding when the guide updated?)

The OP states they edited the padding in the pass.

There's a known bug with editing a job's padding but it wouldn't affect passes. Edit padding on scheduled recording doesn't stick overnite

Ah, I thought the previous bug had been addressed, hence adding a "Me too".

Sorry for the noise.

sorry, it wasn't the pass. this was from the scheduled recordings list, but it's a season pass show...that's what i meant, should have been more clear on that.

to reiterate more clearly: i have a season pass for big brother. i knew because of the RNC that it would start late and run past the 9pm end time, so on sunday i went into web interface, DVR, schedule. found big brother for wednesday, click edit. add padding to the end. save. did the same thing for the thursday episode.

again, not talking about changing the padding for the pass itself...just for the single recording(s) that was/were created by the pass.

last night, i changed tonight's big brother again to re-add the padding, in the same way. again this morning it has been overwritten back to the usual time period.

is this the same bug you were referring to or something different? if it's the same thing, does it only happen overnight (i.e. can i add the padding now and be confident it'll stick for tonight's episode)?

Great, sounds like the same bug then. Thanks for the confirmation.

1 Like

cool, good deal. does it only happen overnight (i.e. can i add the padding now for tonight's episode and expect it to stick?)

Yea it only happens when the guide data is updated or the passes and paused/resumed

ok, cool. workaround for the future is to just edit the pass itself?

Or go old school, and set the following program to record. :wink:

2 Likes

When is the pass padding going to be fixed? I'm missing the end of so many shows or I'm stuck starting the next show to watch the end of the previous. And when it doesn't follow I just miss it altogether.

It's not a problem with padding a pass, that works fine. Just edit the pass to add the padding you want.

Don't worry about adding end-padding if you have back-back recording on the same channel, Channels DVR will share the tuner for both recordings. So ABC 7pm-8pm +5minute end-padding and ABC 8pm-9pm will only use one tuner to record both.

The problem is when overriding by adding padding to individually scheduled tasks/jobs/recordings (2do list) that were created from the pass.

Hmm... Because my padding definitely doesn't work on my pass. I haven't finished an episode of Two Broke Girls on TBS yet. Added 30 seconds to the Pass and I still have to watch the beginning of the next episode. And when it's tjrblast one fo the DAY, I miss the ending. When it started recording on tbs (and in order to boot), I started missing the last bit. Then added 30 seconds to the padding then a minute. Didn't seem to do a thing. Will try longer, but it's really only 20 seconds.

If you're having issues with settings not sticking, there are a few easy tricks to try.

First, if it's a change to the pass, try pausing the pass and then unpausing it; this causes the DVR to recreate the rules anew, including the new passes.

If that doesn't work, try deleting and recreating the guide database. This is like the previous action, but a more extreme version.

And finally, restart the DVR server. This will flush its memory/cache and ensure that it's using the correct rules/passes.

(Personally, if I have issues, I combine the latter two options.)

Don't know if you're aware, but Channels DVR relies on the clock in your DVR server.
Make sure it's synced with an NTP time server.
I use https://time.is/ to verify my PC's time and time.google.com for my NTP time source.

You can view the DVR log to see whan a recording started and ended.

2020/08/30 21:01:00.011384 [DVR] Starting job 1598846460-348 Expedition to the Edge on ch=[750]
2020/08/30 21:01:00.011666 [TNR] Sharing existing connection to 1323AADB/1 for ch750 DSCHDP (clients=2, len=0)
Recording started on 8/30 at 9:01pm
2020/08/30 21:01:00.012004 [DVR] Recording for job 1598846460-348 from 1323AADB ch750 into "TV/Expedition to the Edge/Expedition to the Edge S01E02 Sink or Swim 2020-08-30-2101.mpg" for 1h1m59.98845209s
2020/08/30 21:01:00.088047 [IDX] Generating video index for job 1598846460-348
2020/08/30 22:03:00.010046 [TNR] Closed connection to 1323AADB/1 for ch750 DSCHDP
Recording completed on 8/30 at 10:03pm
2020/08/30 22:03:00.109360 [SNR] Statistics for "TV/Expedition to the Edge/Expedition to the Edge S01E02 Sink or Swim 2020-08-30-2101.mpg": ss=96%-97% snq=100% seq=100% bps=3925811,1224256-5633984 pps=376,135-536
2020/08/30 22:03:00.122696 [DVR] Finished job 1598846460-348 Expedition to the Edge
2020/08/30 22:03:00.231672 [DVR] Processing file-2644: TV/Expedition to the Edge/Expedition to the Edge S01E02 Sink or Swim 2020-08-30-2101.mpg

Also, since TVE is streaming, they always run a bit behind. That means you will likely see the end of the prior program before yours starts. And you may want to add an extra minute or two of padding at the end as well.

2 Likes

this was a trick i learned when i first set up my channels dvr (i'm only using it for locast and TVE, so everything is streaming). i just add 3 minutes begin and end to every recording and series i set up. default settings made it easy to do so.