EDL Support - Mute

We have been using Channels for years and now looking to move some personal media to Channels because of its EDL support. However, it looks like Channels only acknowledges the skip flag (3). We would like to mute some language in some of our libraries, rather than skip the scene. EDL support can use the flag 1 to mute, rather than skip, however Channels cannot use it. This would be a great feature if it can be implemented.

1 Like

Please share example EDL

Pretty sure he means an mplayer/kodi style edl
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/edl.html
https://kodi.wiki/view/Edit_decision_list

They are the same as the EDLs generated by Comskip:

start \t end \t flag

The start and end are either S.sss or HH:MM:SS.sss. The flag is one of:

• 0 – cut; completely skip/remove
  • 1 – mute; do not play audio
  • 2 – scene marker; essentially a chapter marker; if both start and end are present, end is used, and if only start is provided that is used
  • 3 – commercial marker; mark the segment as a commercial (this is Channels' current behavior

I'm looking for a real world example EDL which uses mute.

Are we talking 2 second quick mutes for profanities? Or entire commercial breaks muted? Are there a mix of skips and mutes in the same EDL? How many total entries are in these EDL files?

Here is are the sample contents of an EDL file that mutes a few profanities and skips sex scenes.

721.89     	723.86     	1
2454.13		2482.62		0
2960.16     	2964.09     	1
3025.69     	3028.22     	1
3487.98     	3491.79     	1
3491.86     	3494.89     	1
4806.09		4912.48		0
6857.02     	6859.15     	1

Thanks. Is there some place you typically find these?

I have a phyton script that parses the subtitles and creates the EDL. If I am looking to skip a scene, those are manually created. I have found some times for those from videoskip.org, however still a very manual process.

I know this is looking at a very limited audience, but since Channels has comskip support, I thought it would be worth asking for it to follow the mute flags if it was easy to implement.

It looks like the latest Beta version is doing something with the EDL “1” value. Instead of muting, it is skipping. Does this mean ‘muting’ might be on the roadmap?

Great question! It would be really cool if we had the option to auto-mute commercials (and not only choose to skip them) especially when watching time-shifted live content (whose commercials have already been detected.)

1 Like