EXPERIMENTAL: New MPEG-TS Rewriter for HLS (TVE)

Not really as such. The new rewriter doesn't operate the same way as the old one, so skipped= and unhandled_packets= aren't a thing that is meaningful in the new system.

I can look at adding back highest_pts=, but the meaning in the new system is somewhat different from what it was before...

1 Like

Thanks. Mainly useful for interrupted recordings so I can quickly locate the spot in my video editor where Channels DVR stitched the stream back together.

saw_pcr=false meant something was changing the PMT to say the PCR was in a PID when there was actually no PCR in the stream EXPERIMENTAL: New MPEG-TS Rewriter for HLS (TVE) - #84 by chDVRuser

I enabled this 2 weeks ago on all four DVR servers and haven't seen any issues with recordings or Live.
Using TVE and M3U sources.

2 Likes

Will post if any issues with these 21 one hour recordings this week (Shark Week on Discovery).

Day one 4 hrs of back-back recordings, all good
Day two 3 hrs of back-back recordings, all good
Day three 3 hrs of back-back recordings, all good
Day four 3 hrs of back-back recordings, all good
Day five 3 hrs of back-back recordings, all good

And after recording, updated to

and

just to make sure I'm testing w/latest version

Day six 3 hrs of back-back recordings, all good
Day seven 2 hrs of back-back recordings, all good

All 21 hours without any issues.

Pausing the pass until next year.
Thanks @eric for the work on the new rewriter!

1 Like

After upgrading to v2023.07.27.2357 with the MPEG-TS Rewriter enabled, Newsmax (channel 6764) is now unwatchable as it stutters terribly. It was smooth as butter in the prior beta version…

1 Like

This latest update should resolve the issues you saw.

1 Like

That did the trick! Thanks so much Eric. Have a blessed weekend my friend… :grinning:

1 Like

After investigating further I was able to figure out how wire up the rewriter statistics for the new rewriter. Some of the values will always be 0 with the new system (skipped, unhandled_packets, invalid_pts, invalid_dts), but the other ones that sounded like the most important ones will be working.

1 Like

Thank eric, looks great

2023/07/30 17:00:29.526430 [MTS] Statistics for "TV/Fixer Upper/Fixer Upper S05E18 2018-04-03 Rock Star Renovation 2023-07-30-1646.mpg": skipped=0 unhandled_packets=0 discontinuity_detected=15 transport_errors=0 invalid_pts=0 invalid_dts=0 saw_pcr=false saw_pmt=true highest_pts=856.434744

highest_pts=856.434744 Exactly correct!

Even though it shows saw_pcr=false, the recording does have a PCR in the right place, the video PID. Not sure if you're rewriting the PCR?

Yes, we're adding a synthetic PCR if one hasn't been seen in 100ms to conform to the MPEG-TS spec. That saw_pcr=false is indicating that we did not see one in the original stream.

1 Like

The new MPEG-TS rewriter is now default for everyone. Thanks to everyone who helped with the testing!

2 Likes

“The old one….” Think is what u ment to say in the release notes is the one that’s available in experimental settings

Is this update going to automatically remove the Check Mark to enable the writer ? if not we will be using the old.

Thanks for catching the typo, @speedingcheetah

Yes, that check mark and the setting behind it has gone away and there is a new check mark and setting for getting back to the old one.

2 Likes

Thanks.

I updated while having it enabled, and after update, the line is now for the old one, and is unchecked.

1 Like

Thanks for everyones help! This has been released as a stable DVR release.

2 Likes