Fastest Hardware for DVR Server

If I were starting fresh, I would probably start with the Pi4. I've never used a Pi, but the directions for loading and using Channels seem very straightforward.

Having run Channels on a Windows PC and now a NAS (Synology DS220+) I would second k2ue's comments comparing a PC with a NAS for this use -- I had several scheduled shows miss because the PC was offline for one reason or another (usually related to updates). Plus, the PC is noisy and hot (as compared to the NAS). The NAS just sits there quietly doing it's thing, day after day.

Channels doesn't seem to take much horsepower to use (unlike Plex, which apparently uses transcoding for every stream), so I wouldn't sweat that angle too much.

This recommendation has worked for me. I've rebooted the Mini at least 20 times since I've been running Channels on it and never had it not startup correctly.. Channels and now Docker. I used the recommendation given here. Also, I have no display, mouse, or keyboard connected to the Mini. I just use a VNC client (TightVNC) to access it from my Windows PC, if I need to do any maintenance, and I can use the normal browser interface for most Channels DVR things.

I started running my DVR on my primary PC (aging i5, but still a pretty reasonable PC), during the trial test.

Went to a Pi4 as a DIY, prior to the dedicated build. Then, wiped and started fresh on the dedicated build (before the devs made it even easier to migrate).

@tmm1 has it exactly right - with the exception of comskip runtimes, you would be hard pressed to beat the Pi for ease and cost. It's been nearly flawless for me, and you don't need to do any OS management (patches, etc) - it's all taken care of.

Unless you're running a large number of simultaneous transcodes, or need comskips done prior to watching anything, other hardware doesn't give you much, and costs time in managing.

1 Like

I have no idea what a typical time to process comskip after a recording has completed. So I don’t have a good reference frame.

how long does it typically take to process comskip for a 1 hour show?
what kind of comskip performance difference is there between Pi4 and other platforms?

It depends on the source - i admittedly haven't looked that hard, but figure on something like a 35-40 min process on antenna/cable source, and 25-30 on TVE. It varies widely though, and those are otherwise idle timings.

Better CPU hardware will speed this up to some extent, but at the cost of much more power (and upfront cost, most likely)

1 Like

ah ok, that helps to have a ballpark idea of comskip processing times.

If a long show is still recording and I start the show at the beginning so it is time shifted but still recording.
Is there a way to enable comskip to run while a show is actively recording?
do you have to wait til the full recording has completed before comskip will begin processing?

Comskip runs on completion / stoppage. It's one of the drawbacks.

Comskip won't start until recording has finished. But, you can watch the program while Comskip is running; that way as soon as it finishes the commercial markers appear in the program you are viewing.

M1 is quite fast at comskip:

2 Likes

Ah those numbers definitely help to give context for older vs new Mac Mini. So if I go the Mac Mini route i will definitely get a new M1.

I am curious of how much of a difference there is in performance of an M1 Mac Mini to a Pi4. Because if it is close enough I might go that route since it would be a lot cheaper.

Do you have any numbers you can share for Pi4 comskip performance?

2 Likes

not sure why you need a "separate" server...I have the software installed on my networked 2019 imac I7, and clients installed on my 4 nvidia shields, using a hd home run 4 tuner tv box for the signal, and everything runs like a champ, and aways has..integrates with my plex server on my NAS with no issues, so I am a bit confused as to why you need a separate anything? In the past I had it on Apple TV 4k, trouble free, and various firetv/sticks/boxes, all ran perfectly..

comskip is much slower on the Pi as mentioned earlier. Like 10x slower or more.

That is because I do not currently own a desktop Mac. This is not something I can do with any of my current Macbooks. I currently do not own any Raspberry Pi or NAS. I have an old Haswell Win10 PC but it is in a small room that already gets hot and I don’t want to add a bunch more load and create more heat.

All my other computers are all locked work machines and I cannot use it for a DVR server. So that is why I am considering my different options because I will want to buy a good long term solution that is performant, lower heat output, and lower maintenance because I usually have long work days and don’t want a solution that is too fiddly for me to maintain so the family and wifey can be happy.

3 Likes

Yeah, I knew it was slower but I did not know how much slower it was. But 10x slower is very significant so that is good to know.

Thanks for sharing

I recently upgraded to a base M1 Mini from a base spec '14 mini that had been great but sloooow to perform maintenance tasks. It serves 3 Apl tv 4K as well as a wireless Time Machine back up destination for the wifeys Macbook. I use a Home Run HD tuner to feed it. For storage I use a G-Drive 4 TB that supposedly had a WD Red server grade drive installed. You may be able to find a pre-owned '14 Mini if you would like to save a few $ from OWC. A '14 Mini would be preferred over the '18 due to the lower power CPU (laptop 14 w) vs the desktop CPU (65w) in the '18. I would highly recommend a SSD version over the spinning rust HD version. https://eshop.macsales.com/configure-my-mac/UAEG1DS3XX2X0GG https://shop.westerndigital.com/products/external-drives/g-technology-g-drive-usb#0G03594-1

For additional reference - I have a Synology DS918+. Comskip for me typically takes 10 minutes per hour of recording.

I run a Synology server as well. It's pretty much set it and forget it. It's got redundant drives, runs Plex and will fetch the Pluto M4U files for me. It works flawlessly from outside my network and I don't have a single complaint with this solution other than the high power usage of 3 spinning disks 24/7 in my utility room.

I use an older i5 Laptop for a couple reasons, main one is it is essentially a computer and UPS in one. My Tablo and HDHomerun Connect are on a UPS thus my OTA recordings continue even if I lose power or internet. Secons is I had the laptop as I had retired it for a Surface Pro 6 when Costco put them on sale.

I too migrated off of a Roamio to an HDHomeRun and Apple TV 4K, initially using an iMac as the DVR server. I've never looked back.

As a fun holiday project, I setup the Raspberry Pi DVR to replace the iMac, per the excellent instructions provided by Channels, and have been super pleased. It's a great little setup, very inexpensive and runs great.

2 Likes

I second the Synology option. I have a DS716+II that I pulled from an IT environment, and it's a champ. My Synology system also doubles as a Plex Media server and can handle all streams just fine.

1 Like