Feature Request: transcode after record

Would it be possible to add an option to the dvr server to automatically recode / transcode a recording to a set format once it has finished recording?

I am based in the UK and most HD tv is recorded in 1080i and i consume those shows via FireTV4K on various TVs around the house. FireTV4k has a known issue where it crashes when playing back 1080i material, so all my streams are currently transcoded / set to 720p 6mb to avoid this issue internally.

This means that i am always transcoding the recorded shows i watch in realtime. What would be great is if once a show has finished recording it could be automatically configured / transcoded as follows:

= 1080p --> ignore / original
= 1080i --> transcode to 720p
= 720p --> ignore / original
= SD --> ignore / original

(Once transcoded the original recording could then be removed and the database updated to point to the transcoded file instead)

Then i would set the player to use original file playback instead of forced transcode internally

Thoughts... a possibility?

2 Likes

I'm looking for something similar, but more because the MPEG-2 encoding in US is substantially larger than H.264 or H.265, and I'd like to conserve space (for reduced time copying things elsewhere).

Anybody have handy a scripting solution (cron job) to scan for finished recordings and run a transcoding command?

It's relatively easy to create a script that "watches" a folder for new additions, then opens an app to act on that item. Don't know what OS you are using but on a Mac you could write this in Automator.

and I found this in another sub-forum: