Feature Request - Subscription without DVR

Please add a subscription that includes all of current subscription features without DVR. I'd love to combine my live TV features with, say, the ability to watch SlingTV from the same interface. I just have no need for DVR services and am dissuaded to pay for features that I won't use. Such an option could also lower the cost of entry to your service.

Thanks in advance for your consideration.

2 Likes

We have a single subscription product called Channels Plus with various features including the DVR, Remote Access, TVE, etc. There are no plans to change this.

2 Likes

That’s unfortunate to hear. Hopefully others will support this idea and encourage you to have a change of heart. Until then, I’ll continue using separate apps.

You don't need to use the DVR functionality. Also, through some creative use of permissions or file linking, you can essentially hamstring the server to disable its DVR functionality while still delivering the other features of Channels Plus (2+ weeks of guide information, TV Everywhere and Locast support, remote streaming) if you want to ensure you don't "accidentally" use the DVR features.

(Also, $8/mo is quite a good deal for the remaining features, ignoring DVR support. My local cable company charges $11/mo for their "enhanced guide" that is essentially a mandatory charge.)

Respectfully, I disagree regarding the subscription cost. If I were to leverage all of the features then a Channels Plus sub is a no brainer. But my use case, the convenience of using single app for OTA and IPTV services, is but a small fraction of the Channel Plus features. For me, that simply doesn’t justify the full subscription cost.

SlingTV's support for TV Everywhere is pretty poor, so I don't think you would get the experience you're hoping for either way.

We're a small team and for us it makes more sense to spend our time developing features instead of writing billing code to manage different types of subscriptions and tiers.

6 Likes

If that is what your particular needs are, then perhaps something like Tvheadend is what you are looking for. Coupled with Kodi as a frontend, and a Schedules Direct subscription for guide data.

(There are other frontend applications on a variety of platforms that speak HTSP, which is the protocol Tvheadend uses. But that is something better left to other places on the internet.)

I think the $8 is worth it just for the Gracenote guide that seems to be pretty much perfect across OTA, cablecard, TVE and Locast. Also, the developers are always busy maintaining the TVE login capabilities amongst all the different channels. Also, they have to keep all the various apps working and they continuously make updates to those and server so things work.

I personally don't mind supporting them with my subscription because in 2 months I've seen great value.

3 Likes

FYI... There is a yearly payment of $80 / 12 = $6.67 per month. So over 1 year it is less. I am on the yearly plan.

3 Likes

I'd be interested in what you mean by

14 day guide?
Remote viewing?
TVE integration?
LOCAST integration?
World Class Support?

How much is a Starbucks coffee each month?

For TVE to be useful you still need the guide data - and I believe that’s where a large portion of the subscription fee goes to.

Do you know about AirTV mini. It sounds like you are using SlingTV and that you already have an antenna for OTA. AirTV mini will give you the ability to do just what it sounds like you are asking for...combine SlingTV and OTA into one interface. You can easily find info on Sling's website.