Feature Request: Sync/Import from All Sources - 1 Click!

Also if it did adjust dynamically on the non automatic side of collections it would grab the phantom hdhr channels defeating the purpose of an all collection.

So you’re saying hypothetically you have a crime genre collection that for some reason csi Miami isn’t showing up in so you try to see what genres are labeled for it so that you can add that genre to the collection but it’s not easily found? Interesting

Right now I have to bring up the SageTV guide data to see the Genre.

1 Like

For those experiencing this issue, I think the problem is that the data sources for their guide (myriad FAST services with crappy data, that's you) does not expose sufficient data to make channel collections as functional as you find them. It's merely a case of garbage in, garbage out.

I am talking about Gracenote guide data ... Channels DVR web guide data makes it difficult to find Genres of Shows ... even though the data is available. They show the Genres for Movies why not Shows ?

Granted it’s been so long since I’ve seen the default filters but I imagine drama is probably one of them. I guess my question is what will you do when this happens with the defaults. You have zero control to get csi to show up in the default drama filter, at least with customs you can add it after you do find the tag. Or am I still missing something?

I have the same issue trying to search for things I like using Genres.
Drama is not in the genres for CSI: Miami, it's Crime drama

You can view a list of all Genres currently in your guide data.
/dvr/guide/search/fields/Genres?q=

If you have Pluto or other FAST sources, it's an alphabet soup mess.

I guess it would be too easy to just add it to the Web Guide data just like they do for Movies.... It is the missed details and inconsistencies of the guide data that makes me SMH. I am done with this thread.

Feature Request from 4.5 yrs ago

I shouldn't have to recreate everything when there is already a built-in feature that is very simple to use. The only issue is they removed the automatic client synchronization when collections were introduced.

Favorites DID work before, exactly as designed. Set them on the server for favorites or blocked/removed channels and all clients would update.

All we're asking for is the automatic sync to be restored so we don't need to go to each device when a new channel gets added or changed.

No need to overcomplicate things with Collections when there was a perfectly working feature before

This sometimes worked, but was not consistent across source types and client device types.

Settings, including a channel's status, have always been considered a client-specific thing, and were unique to each client. To alleviate this situation, server side settings and channel collections were introduced.

It always worked for me, until the developers removed it. I get everyone here loves Collections and that is the default answer. The point of this feature request is for those of us that don't like/use collections to have the sync feature restored (in some fashion or another).

I for one do not like the complexity of Collections and will not use them since it does not fit my very simple use case (set the channels I favorite or block server level and all clients pull the same settings).
I do not want to have to manage favorites / blocks for the server, and then manage it separately for Collections, and then have to remember to manually change it in both places when I get a new channel or want to prefer a different source. Over complication when having it in one place was super simple before.

Everyone commenting here to switch to Collections is missing the point of a Feature Request and instead is shouting "do it my way" when there is already a Sync button in the client, why not just make it call the sync automatically on launching the app?

Agree ... have that as an option.

"Sync button in the client with ability to sync automatically when launching the app"

Where is this setting?

There is a Sync button in the Android client; Apple clients have never had a sync button that I recall.

Historically, the process was: channel properties were brought into the client upon first launch; subsequently, all future changes to a channel's status was localized to where the change was made and did not affect other devices. (Meaning, future status changes on the server did not affect the client, and a client's changes did not affect the server nor other clients.)

I understand your request, and you are welcome to it. However, how you claim things always worked or used to work regarding syncing channels is not accurate. The current supported method is through Channel Collections. You don't like that option and want to do it differently; you are welcome to ask, but I doubt the situation will change. (I would not be fully surprised if the sync option was actually removed from the Android client in the future to keep consistency across platforms.)

Consistency I had to laugh at this because there is no Consistency at all you know how many features Android is missing LMAO. Downloads is one for example.

2 Likes

I'm surprised this wasn't even a feature yet. It helps prevents all the headaches that comes with hiding channels

When you gonna change your SageTV background to purple.

Does this mean what I think it means?

2 Likes