Feature Request: Sync/Import from All Sources - 1 Click!

I'm not a fan of collections and doesn't feel as integrated as leveraging the 'favorites' option. I heart the channels / sources I want the tuner to prefer. The guide has an option to only show favorites, the 'on now' page has an option to show favorites, the web interface has a page dedicated to favorites. Why do I then need to create a separate channel collection to display my favorites when they should just sync and use the options that are already built-in. Feels like collections is a half-implemented idea that the developers are forcing us to use, rather than the simple use case of favorites.

Nothing is good about that and it shouldn’t display them. You are right it’s a bug that should have been addressed a long time ago.

But respectfully, you could have solved this in the time it took for your posts. Simply create a channels collection called “All Channels”, add all the channels from all your sources, remove the ones you never want to see, assign the collection to your clients, remove the native “All Channels” in the app settings, and wallah you will never see the problem channels again.

Yes, I have my big 5 stations from my hdhr hearted so that recordings are made from the hdhr locals and not tve locals. I really don’t want to see all of them in my favorites on my client. So if I were to sync from server I would then have to go into all my clients select my two hdhr and unheart them. But I don’t have to do that because I use a collection called favorites and disable the built in favorites.

Channels collection is brilliant if you give it a chance and will solve all these problems. To be clear I don’t think anyone’s opinion on this sync or phantom channels is wrong but it’s pretty obvious that collections is the solution at the moment if or until it’s fixed. I’ll even vote for the feature request.

This can all be done with a collection as well. Sometimes it’s hard to change what we become accustomed to so I get it.

I understand that but it also causes problems when you disable Channels ... I just yesterday disabled all my ATSC 3.0 Channels from my HDHR units/Sever, yet they all still show as active at the clients... so now I have to go around to each client and sync the units.... or clear the data and relaunch.

1 Like

Also an issue because Silicon Dust doesn't think you need to disable (and offers no way to do it) their automatic background channel scans (every 3 days).

Also I added an AllOurChannels collection to eliminate phantom Channels ... but then I lose all the other Channel groupings except Favorites and HD... which I do not care for. SMH ... Do I have to recreate all of them ?

You would just do this once from within the collection list. You are unique as you use both hdhr app and channels app so obviously you would need to remove from the hdhr as well. The majority of channels users are not going to use both, they are just going to use channels. So in your example most people will just remove those atsc 3 from collection and then all clients will update and they will not be seen from any clients.

Yes, you will have to recreate as a collection but only once and attach to all your clients.

FYI you can just use the name “All” like the default is and no one will know you even changed it to a collection

Well that sucks :lollipop: ... Done

If you create an "All" collection containing all channels from all sources, what happens when a source adds or removes a channel.

Does the collection dynamically adjust, or do you have to edit the collection to reflect the changes at the server.

I went back to normal the collection stuff is more a pain in the ass than what it's worth .... It kills the included collections you have to re-create them. Getting the Genres for shows is a pain in the ass as it is not included in the guide data.

1 Like

It does not, it has to be remade, my sources rarely change and when they do it’s pretty fast to remake for me. I actually asked to have that added for a different use case but it went unreplied Here

I don’t really follow, the default uses the same guide data as collections. At least you gave it a try and decided it’s not for you. Personally I don’t have any issues with the genre collections I make

I was referring to the guide data on the Web Page ... If I Scan and see a show I might be interested in and click on the Show there is no way to View Genre. So maybe If I want to set a Genre collection. Where do I view the Genre ?

Good point.
Since it's available at the Series/Show level, perhaps they could surface it.
"genres": ["Crime drama", "Action", "Thriller", "Mystery"]

I don't record that one, but here's an example

Also if it did adjust dynamically on the non automatic side of collections it would grab the phantom hdhr channels defeating the purpose of an all collection.

So you’re saying hypothetically you have a crime genre collection that for some reason csi Miami isn’t showing up in so you try to see what genres are labeled for it so that you can add that genre to the collection but it’s not easily found? Interesting

Right now I have to bring up the SageTV guide data to see the Genre.

1 Like

For those experiencing this issue, I think the problem is that the data sources for their guide (myriad FAST services with crappy data, that's you) does not expose sufficient data to make channel collections as functional as you find them. It's merely a case of garbage in, garbage out.

I am talking about Gracenote guide data ... Channels DVR web guide data makes it difficult to find Genres of Shows ... even though the data is available. They show the Genres for Movies why not Shows ?

Granted it’s been so long since I’ve seen the default filters but I imagine drama is probably one of them. I guess my question is what will you do when this happens with the defaults. You have zero control to get csi to show up in the default drama filter, at least with customs you can add it after you do find the tag. Or am I still missing something?

I have the same issue trying to search for things I like using Genres.
Drama is not in the genres for CSI: Miami, it's Crime drama

You can view a list of all Genres currently in your guide data.
/dvr/guide/search/fields/Genres?q=

If you have Pluto or other FAST sources, it's an alphabet soup mess.

I guess it would be too easy to just add it to the Web Guide data just like they do for Movies.... It is the missed details and inconsistencies of the guide data that makes me SMH. I am done with this thread.

Feature Request from 4.5 yrs ago