Feature Road Map?

I went through all 227 posts as of 07AUG21 3pm PDT. While babsonnexus posted a great wish list, I'm wondering if there is an official doc of some kind. I'm new to this forum. I've had and used Channels for a few years, now. I use it with PlayOn TV and Silicon Dust OTA-to-IP boxes. The collections and VC feature is very promising with regard to how it might further the features of PlayOn Cloud. I'm also wondering about random/shuffle options that might offer "suggestions" from my banked content. As in, "there's nothing/crap on OTA, tonight, what banked movie/show might be good to watch in light of this?" Something similar to how my Hulu and Netflix make suggestions based on my previous viewing choices. I'm also wanting non-linear viewing choices. If I used Hulu to watch Bosch and, then, switched to Channels to watch more Bosch episodes, I'm faced with being out-of-sync as to the episodes I watched on Hulu. I shouldbe able to mark episodes 1 to 3 as WATCHED so my VC Bosch collection moves the guide along to the appropriate starting point for my continued viewing. Or, I should be able to choose which episode I want to watch with options to mark previous episodes as watched, perform no action/update on the episode I just watched or pin the episode for additional viewing (eg watch season 1 finale prior to season 2 episode 1 in order to re-establish show continuity).

BUT, I can't find a feature Road Map, MRD, PRD or beta user's manual on this forum. For the sake of proper expectation setting and anticipation of feature development phases that would be appropriate for specific feature/option requests. May be an official wish list of requests that made the official product road map so that this forum can prevent redundant requests. May be separate topic areas for TVOS, iOS, Android, etc.?

Thanks and sorry if I'm missing something. I'm just about old support guy who advocates for product development transparency and avoiding user-hostile interfacing at every level of tech. - CEC

1 Like

Documentation for what? I imagine when these test features become available in a stable release, you can find the documentation in the standard place:

AND, rawcamarone's comment on my post truly illustrates what I mean by USER-HOSTILE. Is there a minimum age requirement for participation in this forum? - CEC

2 Likes

Your post was originally posted on a preview thread for an early feature that is not publicly available in our product.

We routinely make features available early to invite the most enthusiastic members of our community to help test and make the early features better. We love this and believe it makes Channels better.

Early features like this do not have documentation. The features are not complete or mature enough to have it.

While we do not have a public feature roadmap, I can’t honestly think of any products that do.

You can see we have no less than 3 major new features made available early, which I like to think makes us unique for commercial software. I also think this gives us a level of transparency that tops most other commercial software.

It’s hard to quite understand what you’re upset with, but I would be surprised that a lack of transparency is one of them.

3 Likes

It looks like you were responding to me (but I'm not an uncooked Spanish shrimp):

Your original post was lacking in details, and I

1. was asking for clarification of what you specifically were asking about; and,
  2. pointed you where the actual official documentation was, because you hadn't mentioned that you had read it.

While I will admit that my posts can be short or insensitive if I haven't had my morning coffee or if I've had a cocktail or 5, I fail to see how merely asking for clarification or offering a pointer to documentation is "user hostile".

Further, making a comment but modifying your original post is a bit disingenuous.

Thank you and pleased be assured that I did not post a complaint or admonition. This feature is very, very promising. One of your messages mentioned Backbone Functionality. I figured if this is an initial development phase you might be able to detail with the goals to be accomplished and ETA. I'm used to the dotcom product development process which start with a Marketing Requirements Doc leading to a Product Requirements Doc resulting from an Engineering Feasibility Assessment. These items hold the written promises of a new product. But, I'm also used to start-up products borne raw in the quest to please Customers or address time-to-market.

I see this feature as a kind of personal EPG for my banked content, as well as Internet Streamers, like Hulu. Channels is looking more like my Single Pane of Glass solution for my media browser needs. I can't say the same of my experience with the AppleTV application, Roku, HDHR, Plex, etc.

Again, thank you very much and carry on!

• CEC

No one appreciates being blown-off or dismissed. Very bad form in a tech forum, which I assume this forum to be. I had a legitimate request and an editing hiccup.. Also, your reply had a bit too much "Camaron Privilege" for my taste. I've had too much of this in growing-up in Silicon Valley. Other than your lack of Spanish Slang awareness, I would slow down if I were you. I know that someday service in a nanosecond world is passe. But, haste still makes waste. Let's not waste the opportunity for good, productive dialog. -CEC

There is no haste, but your original post contained absolutely no details; how can one respond to "Is this documented?" when you never described what this was?

But if you are going to personally attack me, have the guys to directly address me. Also, perhaps you should establish yourself in the forum with more than a single post—which you then heavily edit—before attacking those who have a bit more experience.