Filesystems

I saw you recently updated to 5.10 of the kernel. However, there have been many improvements to the exFAT driver from Samsung; also, 5.15 saw the introduction of Paragon's NTFS3 kernel driver that surpasses anything else.

Are there any plans to align the RPi image with Linux mainline?

We already use the latest exFAT driver, compiled separately from the 5.10 kernel.

We plan to use the same kernel as Raspberry Pi OS rather than mainline.

Does that mean you're not yet using Paragon's NTFS3 driver that was mainlined with the latest kernel release.

No, the image uses ntfs-3g IIRC.

AFAIK 5.15 is not yet released, nor was the ntfs3 patched merged into mainline yet.

Okay I see it was here: Linux-Kernel Archive: Re: [GIT PULL] ntfs3: new NTFS driver for 5.15

If 5.15 is marked LTS then its likely RPI OS will switch and so will we.

I was able to backport the new ntfs3 driver to our RPI image. It will be part of upcoming release.

I also saw there's a new/faster kernel module based SMB server: KSMBD As An In-Kernel SMB3 File Server Merged For Linux 5.15 - Phoronix

1 Like

The KSMBD is still not widely accepted. Are you sure you want to add that to your image. (Kernel-based networking drivers is always better, but 5.15 was its first appearance)

As far as the ExFAT and NTFS improvements: those have been out in production for years/generations, and are widely considered stable and great.

This is available now: