FireTV and HD channels not working

Anything I have to adjust to watch hd channels on the fire tv? It works on an Apple TV but only standard definition channels will work on the fire tv.

What happens?

Just sits at a black screen with the timeline bar on the screen. I’ve tried on multiple fire tv’s and tried changing the source HDHR to a different one and same issue happens.

Did you try changing Settings > Playback > Advanced > Video Decoder

There’s no option to change it.

1 Like

What is the model?

1 Like

Amazon fire tv stick. I’ve tried the new 4K models and old stick models and have had the same issue

Do those channels play in the official HDHomeRun app?

Please submit diagnostics from Channels after seeing the black screen issue.

Just submitted. It works on Hd on my iPhone and Apple TV when I try.

That diagnostics was from FireOS 5 and we don't get a lot of details on that OS version. Do you have a newer firetv you can replicate on and submit

I have had these same issues with the new Fire Stick 4k as well. It was “ripping” while dropping a LOT of output packets and then channel finally dropped. Came back in to the channel and was a black screen w/ audio only.

I submitted my diags.

The strange thing about the Fire Stick 4k (running latest OS) is it is not consistent when testing diff DVR setups.

I started with a Pi 3 and it would drop many packets, start tearing and drop out after about 3mins of watching.

Then Ported my DVR DB to a Dell 790 dual Pentium @2.0ghz, although slow, was stable with the fire stick and no pixelation (not sure how many packets if any were dropped) and could watch for hrs with no issues.

Last night I migrated the dual Pentium Intel DVR to an i5-4310 processor and the issue with the FS started again. I also submitted diags this AM when it was dropping the ATSC 3 channel. When it froze. Went back to guide, started it again annd came up with audio, but a black screen. Also tried the native HDHR app and no issue there. Speed to DVR is good @400mbit and 3.5ms. The channel is 100% across the board for stats

Everything runs fine on ATV. Only issue there is slow tuning. Especially in ATSC3 stations.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.