Folders for Library Collections?

I see that the Library Collections was just released for Android Beta. Such a powerful and flexible system, it should be great at helping those of us with lots of recordings.

A question to the developers or users who have used the feature on Apple TV for some time. Is there a way to add folders to library collections, or a collection within a collection? For example, I would like to create a "Movie Series" collection for movies that have multiple sequels. After starting to set this up though, I see how it will quickly overload the amount of collections one needs to scroll through.

My question is this, is it possible to have a movie collection called "Movie Series" and then have folders (or sub-collections) under that heading for each series (i.e. Marvel, DC, Star Wars, etc.)? That way, I only have the one collection (Movie Series) when scrolling through the collections. When I click on Movie Series, then I would see the rest of the items. Is this currently possible?

Collections are flat and can not be nested.

1 Like

Understood, thank you for answering. Just looking for a way to keep the collections more manageable. In my first use of it, I find that having more than about 10 collections makes scrolling through them less than ideal. If they could be nested, I could consolidate them and keep the counts down. Regardless, still a very nice feature, thank you.

Thanks for the feedback. Hearing stuff like this helps us build out features. Your scenario is a good one. So we'll keep it in mind.

We also believe diving deeper into hierarchy can sometimes be slower than scrolling through things, so we try to keep hierarchy to a minimum when first building things out.

2 Likes

I am definitely +1 request for this. My use case is for users.

Layer 1: Person 1, Person 2, Person 3, Whole Family
Layer 2: Person 1 - Animals, Person 1 - Baking, Person 2 - Dystopia, Person 2 - Revenge Ninjas, Person 3 - Cartoons, Whole Family - Animals, Whole Family - Superheroes, Whole Family - Space

Something like this:

Right now, all of that green is on one screen (and there is a lot more of it), so even one layer of hierarchy would be tremendous!

2 Likes

I'm curious if you're putting in the work to create art for these person specific collections, or just living with the placeholders.

Yes, yes, and more yes! In your example, you would convert 8 collections to 4, and allow for each person to have their own nested collections (instead of everyone sharing the same). Thanks for putting this together visually.

I would be ok with the ability to add our own art, but I would also be find if we could just type in the name of the placeholder (and have it show like it does in babsonnexus example above). As long as we don't have to stick with the default image with no title.

You can do this already:

I had no idea what collections looked like in the app until this morning, so I had not put in any art. Now that I do, assuming if it stays this way, I will be putting in art so it has the person's name and the topic so it can be more easily found. I'm probably going to rebuild everything anyway since I cannot re-sort the collections and want them alphabetically at least within the person.

@maddox, this is what it looks like with my custom art per user per topic:

I currently have 36 Movie and 35 Show collections, so the last user has to scroll past quite a bit of stuff to get to their stuff.

1 Like

You can use labels on collections now, and also allow/hide content on specific clients using labels.