Frame rate switching for live TV

Nice. Can you submit diagnostics so I can verify it's doing everything I expect.

One note here - the tvOS 14.5 public beta is showing some major changes to the ATV fps handling - details:

and

1 Like

That was all rolled back with the latest beta.

@maddox @tmm1 can you add a way to disable frame rate switching on the app? channel surfing with this on is maddening and turning it off a the OS level is not an option.

thanks

Please submit diagnostics so we can see why it's happening on every channel change.

You sure? I saw reports of something rolling back between earlier dev betas, but Beta 2 / Public beta is where all of the confirmations came from, and haven't seen anything newer?

would you like me to channel surf and submit after each rate switch? or just once?

i just submitted one after i closed a stream while in pip and it rate switched back.

@tmm1 just submitted another one, started the stream and it changed, stopped it and changed back.

thanks, let me know if you need more.

Thanks. I see it was switching between 25fps 60fps 59.94fps and 23.97fps depending on the channel.

Maybe we can add a Match Content setting that lets you turn it on for recordings only so it works like it did before.

Would you mind testing to see: with global Match Content off, do channel changes feel any slower on this beta compared to stable?

We have to do slightly more work to figure out the live stream fps before playback now. It should be very minimal since we only need to look at a couple more frames of video to figure out the timing.

just did with match content off and it works great, fast, great for channel surfing. i submitted diagnostic just in case.

yes please, i believe thats how it should be. thanks.

1 Like

I'll try to submit some diagnostics this evening after work. Regarding subsequent conversation about frame rate switching on EVERY channel: I experience this when I set the chroma to 4:2:2. When I set it to 4:4:4 Channels doesn't try to switch the frame rate when it doesn't need to. That was also the case before the latest betas. I don't really like setting to 4:4:4 because my HDMI connection tends to be a little flaky on mode changes with it, but I remember having to set it to that a while ago to stop Channels from thinking it needed to change the frame rate on 50 Hz sources.

EDIT: Unneeded frame rate switching happens with chroma set to 4:2:0.

1 Like

Right - that seems to confirm what I'm saying: https://www.reddit.com/r/appletv/comments/lldqbx/in_tvos_145_beta_2_now_both_fractional_and/gnp8zzs?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

Essentially, earlier 14.4 betas and the 1st 14.5 beta had an incomplete set of changes that went through various stages of release/rollback. Beta 2 was much wider, and is the latest.

1 Like

Diagnostics just submitted.

1 Like

In the latest TestFlight we've added a setting "Match Content for Live TV" under Playback > Advanced

1 Like

FYI - Beta 3 now out for Devs - even more polish to the frame rate settings. Looks like this long-standing issue may be fixed.

Now - if they would only fix HLG

does beta 3 work ok with channels? I have a bunch of stuttering on TVE channels encoded at 29.97. Content that is 60fps works perfectly. I'm wondering if the new options in 14.5 will make it better

Just wanted to say thanks for including this feature as a selectable option for live TV. I use frame rate matching in general, but find the black screen during handshake on Apple TV too distracting for basic channel surfing.

1 Like

Why not set your Apple TV default refresh rate to match that of live TV? Here in the UK, I have my Apple TV set to 4K SDR 50hz, and therefore no refresh rate change occurs for live TV.