Get the channels app to 'see' new/2nd server?

I've got a channels dvr setup working well from home. As an experiment, I decided to setup a channels dvr server on a cloud server (VPS). But when i log into the iPad app, it will only show me the original server that I setup at home. Is there a way to switch between these two so I can test the cloud server?

thanks!

Bring up settings on the app and tap on the Channels Plus box at the top. Tap "At Home" to enter the IP address of the new server if it's on your LAN, or "Away From Home" if it's not.

thanks. I'm getting a 'can not be reached' error but I suspect that's a firewall situation. this is the solution!

Let us know how this works out for you. I was thinking about this awhile back but never tried it.

The problem with Channels in a VPS situation is that many TVE providers blacklist the IPs for the providers, and will fail to authenticate.

A couple months ago I was testing the Channels Docker container with Podman on my Fedora instance on Vultr, and Disney-owned and Discovery networks all failed to authenticate because of the IP address. Your results may indeed vary, but you may want to set your expectations accordingly.

(Also take note of your bandwidth limits for your hosting provider. If you're planning on using this for a primary server, that can be quite a few bits—both in and out. Also, transcoding probably isn't a great idea, unless you've already got an overpowered instance.)

@Tom_Leach I'll let you know. This is a 2-3 part project for me. In a PERFECT world, I'd get a channels dvr instance working on a VPS, then I'd pipe the M3Us from that instance into a media server App like Jellyfin. I'm continually frustrated that Jellyfin/Plex/Emby are amazing media servers but none of them can provide the TVE live TV experience that Channels can provide - it's great and it's worth the cost. But it's not robusy enough (yet?) to be my only media app.

@racameron I'll let you know. I have two servers - one robust 8 core 16bg ram vps with unlimited bandwidith and one 2 core 2 gb with 6TB of bandwidth. Right now I'm testing it out on the VPS set up (thought I see that that might be a no-go due to IP black listing, too bad).

I use an old firestick as a channels Dvr server for TVE and Locast for emby. I have xfinity internet and my upstream is horrible. I spend a lot of time on the road and back then thought the vps might be a good solution in hotels. Lately I've been using the ts4k as server and client in hotels and that works pretty good. I keep emby mostly as a fall back. It seems that when the hotel wifi is so bad that nothing else is watchable not even Netflix, i can still watch emby. It doesn't make sense to me why emby is better with poor wifi.

@Tom_Leach could I talk to you more about the firestick option? I don't understand how this would be done (firestick as server) but it sounds like what I am trying to do. We can DM about it, I don't want to take up too much of your time but any help you could offer would be appreciated. The main goal is to get the M3U streams from Channels into one of my media server options (Jellyfin or Plex - though I prefer JF)

It is a simple setup. Download channels dvr server app from Amazon play store. Open app and finish setup on web browser ui. This also works on the fire Cube, ts4k or any generic android tv v9 device (android tv v10 won't run channels dvr server). If you are going to use it for more then a channel server for emdy then go with an android tv device. Then you can add external storage formatted exfat for a full dvr setup. Firetv only supports fat32.

If thats all you are looking to do. In emby I just use http://x.x.x.x:8089/ANY/channels.m3u?format=ts as an m3u source. You can setup channels server on any device or computer. Just change x.x.x.x to the ip of the channels. I only set up a separate server to use a VPN on those sources. For all other channels hdhr prime and hdhr Quatro I point emby to my main channels setup so both can share tuners. You can dm me if you want. This is the only forum I've ever posted on so I've never done a dm.

You can run the Channels DVR Server on a FireStick? I wasn't aware it's in the Amazon App Store. How do you attach storage?

You can attach with an ota usb adapter. They are about $7 for a 2 pack on Amazon. Then you can add a usb drive or sd card in a usb card reader. The problem is firetv os only supports fat32. Other then the 4gb file limit it works.

It is possible, but not recommended. FireOS only supports FAT32, so you can't make a recording that's more than 4GB.

I've been home from work for 2 weeks now. I'm bored so I'm testing channels dvr on every device in the house. The Google chromecast tv is the only thing It won't run on.

Android 10 is not supported for the DVR server.