Getting Cable provider authentication failed with xfinity

Thanks for the idea. I have logged into both my main account and sub-account, and I no longer get anything stating I need to change my password. However I still am not successful in adding any TVE channels.

Does anyone know the best way to prove TVE is working outside of Channlesdvr so that I can "troubleshoot" if I get up the patience needed to call Xfinity?

@guags8240 two things to try:

1. Are your internet and TV service on different xfinity accounts? Try following the "turn off auto-authentication" instructions here: https://getchannels.com/docs/channels-dvr-server/tv-everywhere/provider-help/#xfinity
  2. I know this sounds weird, but when you give your Xfinity login to Channels, try changing some of the letters in your username to UPPERCASE. I ran into a problem with this a few days ago (specifically, I was able to watch NBC and stuff in my web browser, but Channels still wasn't able to log in using the same credentials) and it started working again when I gave Channels my Xfinity username in ALL CAPS. I think Xfinity has a caching issue that causes login failures to persist, but changing the capitalization of the username bypasses their faulty cache.

I’m seeing the same issue… my xfinity channels were working great until yesterday. I’ve reset my xfinity password, and tried every version of sub accounts and usernames. All of them work fine on xfinity and individual apps for different tv stations, but nothing is working on channels (keep getting invalid username or password). My hunch is xfinity got too many log in attempts through tv everywhere and I will have to wait 48 hours before trying again.

Not positive, but I think there may be something to that CAPITAL letter suggestion. Once i did that, I got a different message showing dialoge from Xfinity saying that I needed to reset...again. But I reset and used capital letters in the username and it is now working. Let's hope it doesn't force a reset again.

We do REALLY need a way to just change the password for our TVE account rather than having to delete and re-setup each time.

Thanks for the help!

2 Likes

I am on XFINITY and I do not remove and re-add the source ... also my user name is all small letters. What I do is change the PWD to what it was before wait a while and rescan only unauthorized channels.

Edwin, are you running on a Windows server? I am and do not believe using PWD is an option.

I think this begs for adding a username/password update function in Channels DVR.

If you run curl from the command line it depends on what OS you run it on and have to consider what special characters need escaping. Especially if your new password contains them.

I put the json in a file and have curl use the file instead.
password.json

{"pass":"!~Q%&*<2e`}?s6=|;"}

curl -XPUT http://127.0.0.1:8089/providers/tve/mvpds/Comcast_SSO/credentials --data-binary @password.json

Alse see these posts
action=auth
action=fill_form

I am talking about changing PWD on XFINITY Site for the user (same as before). Waiting a while and only scan for unauthorized channels.... not all Channels.

Are you saying you reuse your old password on the Xfinity site? I didn't think that was possible.

Yes exactly... make sure user is a viewer only no account access.

1 Like

Ah. Interesting. Thanks

I'm having the same issue. xfinity tv everywhere was working great and stopped working Monday night. I added a user account for myself and that login allows me to stream from the xfinity app but no luck with Channels. I tried the "upper case trick" but that didn't work for me.

Can you submit diagnostics and email support so we can take a closer look.

I tried again this morning and it's working. Maybe an issue on Xfinity's side.

Was anyone able to resolve this issue?

I'm having the same issue ; tried the CAPS trick ; tried CURL ; restarted the DVR ; rebooted the OSX box ; nothing worked. I'll send an email with the JPG of the login failure and my log data

I had trouble with authentication a few weeks back. I tried everything but found that logging into the Android Xfinity Stream app on my phone fixed something. When I logged in on the phone Xfinity Stream app it had a message that it was fixing something with my account status level and then logged in. After that I had no problems getting Channels DVR Server to authenticate all available channels for Xfinity.

I forgot my diagnostics ; that is: 223ce15b-d74b-41e7-9366-de8c69763b36

I'll try the "wait for 2 days" thing. But this nasty Xfinity stuff has been partially offset today by trying Locast. We get the major channels with our antenna but the sub-channels (that have some very nice content in our area) were useless. But now they are all good with Locast. So I'm trying that for $5 per month - worth a try anyway. (hopefully they won't lose their lawsuit this year)

But - maybe I'll try that Xfinity Stream App hint ; thanks!

Got the same thing with the Android Stream app - it reported some kind of error but then it worked - I was able to stream using that app.

But then I still got the failure in Channels when trying to add TVE - Xfinity as a source. So - I'll just do the 48 hour wait thing.